Chapter 8

Parkland Hospital

6pm

Jackie kissed her husband before following Pierre out to the corridor. “Are you ready Jackie?”

“Yes.”

Pierre smiled and opened the door to the front of the hospital. Jackie walked out and was a taken back by the amount of photographers. After composing herself she began to speak. “Yesterday my husband President Kennedy was hit by a bullet which shattered our car roof. The bullet hit my husband’s back and cracked two of his ribs, it will be a long recovery but he is showing great signs. I was also cut with some of the glass yesterday but it could have been much worse. Jack asked me to convey to you all, that he is still in charge on this country and is being kept informed. When more news is available Pierre will inform you. Thank you.” Jackie said before heading back inside.

When she reached Jack’s room, he was sitting up in bed watching the press conference. “Dr what’s his face was right, the heat pad his helping.”

“His name is Dr Carrico.”

“You spoke very well kid.” Jack smiled. She bushed slightly. “Thank you.”

“Will you help me wash tomorrow?”

“Of course bunny.”

Jack nodded. “I couldn’t wait to put my pyjamas on and get out of this stupid hospital gown.”

Jackie giggled slightly. “How are you feeling?”

“Still woozy from all these drugs but the pain isn’t too bad at the moment.”

“That’s good.”

“Is it okay if I go to sleep I’m really tired?” Jack asked.

“Of course bunny.” Jackie replied as she kissed him. “Sleep well.”

Jack smiled and closed his eyes. Jackie switched the lights off and went and lay down on her bed. She was worried about her husband. It would take him a long time to recover.

3am

“Jackie, no don’t Jackie! Move!” Jack exclaimed.

Jackie slowly rubbed her eyes and sat up. Her husband was rumbling around and talking in his sleep. She quickly got up and went and sat on his bed. She placed her hand on his cheek. “Jack, baby, speak to me.” Jackie whispered.

Jack slowly woke up. He was sweating. His eyes immediately fixed on Jackie’s. He relaxed. “Jackie.”

“What happened bunny?” Jackie asked gently as she traced his jaw line.

“I had a bad dream, we were in the car and we were sitting in opposite seats I kept telling you to move, but you wouldn’t.”

“It’s okay bunny, I’m here, you’re here.” Jackie replied rubbing his hand.

He nodded.

“Right you try and go back to sleep, you need to rest.” Jackie whispered.

“Can you stay with me?”

“What?”

“Can you lie on the bed beside me please?”

“Of course bunny.” Jackie replied. She gently lay down on her side so Jack had plenty of room to stretch if he needed too. She watched as he drifted back to sleep. She wanted to take his pain away but she knew it would be impossible.

7am

Jack woke to find his wife still lying sleeping beside him. He smiled and kissed her forehead. She didn’t move.

Jack was watching her when a nurse came in. “Oh sorry Mr President.”

He smiled. “It’s okay, can you give us a minute please?”

The nurse nodded and closed the door. “Jackie darling wake up.” Jack whispered.

Jackie gently lifted her head and looked at her husband. “Morning kid, you sleep okay?”

“Yeah you?”

“Yeah after you joined me.”

Jackie kissed his cheek.