Chapter 9

Sunday 24th November 1963

Jackie got up and went into the bathroom. She changed and washed before returning to her husband. He was sitting up. “Do you want a hand?” Jackie asked as she chucked her nightie on to her bed.

“Yes please.”

Jackie smiled and went over to him. She took his arm and helped him stand up. “How’s the pain?”

“Getting slightly easier.”

Before Jackie could reply Dr Carrico walked in. “Good morning Jack, Jackie.”

Jackie smiled. “Morning.”

“Do you want to go for a bath sir?” Dr Carrico asked.

“Yes please.”

“Let me just change your dressing.”

“Sure.”

Jack stood leaning on to Jackie while his dressing was changed. “There you go Jack, you can go for a bath now, just make sure it isn’t too hot.”

“Thank you.”

Dr Carrico nodded and watched as the President took small and slow steps to the bathroom. Jackie ran it while Jack took his hospital gown off. Jackie then helped him into the bath. He groaned as he sat down, the pain was unreal.

Jackie gently dabbed a hot sponge on his back. “Is that nice?”

“It’s great.” Jack sighed.

“You know bunny, you will get better.”

“I know…..but we’re not going to be home for the kids’ birthdays.” Jack replied.

“Oh Jack I know but we’ll make it up to them. They’ll understand.”

He nodded and leaned back trying to ease his back.

9am

Jack was sitting in his pyjamas on the edge of his bed. He and Jackie had just had breakfast and were waiting on Dr Carrico.

“Jackie?”

“Yes?”

“What are we going to do about the campaign?”

“Don’t worry about it bunny, you’ll win.”

Jack stared at the floor. Jackie may be convinced but he wasn’t. Suddenly the door opened. Dr Carrico came in. “Did your bath help?”

“Yeah it did.”

“Good. I’m happy with the progress you’ve been making. The fact you can walk and move about is excellent.”

Jack nodded. “What are the next steps?”

“Well I want to keep you in for a few days at least until Wednesday. I think it’s important we monitor how much medicine to keep you on and I want to start you on a course of physiotherapy to help keep your back active.”

“What happens after that?” Jackie asked.

Dr Carrico turned to face her. “Well you’re going to need to take time off work, maybe till after Christmas because the strain on your back isn’t good and we need time for your wounds to heal properly. I know this really isn’t my place but try to go to your most private place of residence. The added pressure of press and work just delays the recovery.”

Jackie nodded. “Thank you doctor.”

He nodded and swiftly left. “Jack where do you think we should go for you to rest?”

“Your parents are in Europe right?”

“Yeah.” Jackie replied.

“Can we go to Hammersmith please?” Jack asked.

“Sure bunny. I’ll get it organised.”