Chapter 10

Monday 25th November 1963

Jack’s Room

Parkland Hospital

Jack was in the middle of his second course of physio. It had been helping. He was sitting stretching when Jackie burst in. “Jack…..” Jackie said worriedly.

“What’s wrong kid?” Jack asked noticing the fear in her eyes.

“Yesterday Oswald was killed. They didn’t want to tell us till today. It’s his funeral just now.”

“What?” Jack spluttered shocked.

“Someone killed him because they didn’t want us to face the trials.”

Jack didn’t know what to say. “Mad people.” Jackie nodded. The nurse left them.

Jack steadily got to his feet and walked to his wife. He lifted his arms as far they would go and wrapped Jackie in his arms. She gently rubbed his back. “I love you Jackie more than you’ll ever know.”

Jackie blushed. “I love you too bunny.”

Thursday 28th November 1963

Parkland Hospital

10am

A day later than planned Jack was discharged from hospital. He was standing in the foyer of the hospital with Jackie by his side. He was wearing a loose pullover with a pair of navy chinos with a pair of sneakers. He had just thanked the nurses when he reached Dr Carrico. He shook his hand. “Thank you Dr Carrico for helping me, and saving my life.” Jack said.

“It was my pleasure Mr President; I hope the rest of your recovery goes smoothly.”

Jack nodded. “Me too.”

Jackie kissed the doctors cheek before taking her husband’s hand. She turned to him. “You ready?”

Jack nodded. When they walked out the press started shouting questions. Jackie tightened the grip on her husband’s hand and guided him to the car.

Love Field

When they arrived back at the air field the press had been held back for security reasons but in reality it was to stop them getting pictures of the President struggling up the planes steps.

When they got to the bottom of the steps Jackie took one of his arms while Jerry took his other and they walked slowly up on to Air Force One.

Jackie watched him as he limped through to their private cabin. When she joined him he was lying flat on his back on the bed. He patted for her to join. Jackie kicked her shoes off and lay down beside him. This was the closest they’d been in a week. Jack rubbed her back. This was just the beginning of his long recovery and Jack knew it. He needed his family more than ever.