Queerness

Jem's P.O.V

Would it be crazy if I said my mate feels like it's not my mate? Yeah, it'd seem like it, right? Maybe the heating season just got to me.

"Brother?" Jenny's voice snapped me out and I jolted a bit.

"Yeah?" I answered, a bit disoriented.

"Why aren't you eating?" she asked as she dug a spoonful of her cereal and plopped it in her open hungry mouth.

"Are you fine?" My sweet little mate asked and looked worried. I smiled at her and messed her hair while reassuring her that I was fine.

"That's good then." she smiled before she returned to her meal.

Ever since she returned home that night- I don't know- something seemed kind of off about her. Funny because even though she was so close, my wolf- Rein, was not reacting to her.

Maybe my heating season just ended too soon. As if.

I pondered as I slowly tilted the contents of my mug back and forth, getting lost in daze again.

"Seriously Jem.. Is something bothering you?" Levi was the one who asked this time.

"Ye-Yeah. Yeah, I am." I stammered and paused for a while before realizing I answered it incorrectly.

"I-I mean No. Nothing's bothering.. me." I tizzied. I needed to snap out of it. I was making the people around me worried, especially my little mate.

"Jem?" I heard her sweet voice.

Weird. Normally, when she calls my name, it'd always feel so warm, sweet, kind and wonderful. Why is it that I no longer feel those? It isn't possible to lose the feelings you harbour for your mate, right? or am I seriously losing my head?

"Yes?" I answered when I realized I had grown silent and did not answer.

"Uhmm.. That is.. Ah. It's nothing." she brushed it off and smiled brightly.

"Are you sure?" I asked, dubious about it being nothing. For a moment there, I thought I saw guilt, unsureness and pain flash in her eyes.

"Yes. By the way Jen, do you want to go shopping later?" she asked and surprised us. She was never one that asked Jen those kind of things. In fact, she'd rather stay inside and curl in the bed all day long.

"Su-Sure." Jenny agreed hesitantly. She became really weird after that night. Definitely.

Everyone fell silent and we let the whole duration of our meal be like that. I knew everyone was weirded out by Ella's sudden invitation to Jen and put their block up.

Moments later, Jen and Ella vanished behind the door while I and Levi went to patrolling our territory. We were scouting the northern part which was where I first saw Alex and the gang. Thinking about it, I never saw them for a few days now.

*Levi?* I tapped into Levi's link.

*Yeah?* He immediately answered after lowering his mind block for me.

*Have you seen Alex and the others?* I asked as we kept running and doing the rounds.

*Now that you ask it, I haven't. Why? Did you need them for something?*

*No. It's just weird how they're not following Ella everywhere anymore.*

*Maybe they entrusted the role of protection to you? Maybe they trust you enough now.*

*I don't think that is the case though. Especially that Zyll guy. If he was asked to choose between saving the world and my mate, I know he'd choose my mate without batting his eye.*