Chapter 9 - Wake Up

Hello, lovelies! Here's a new chapter for you to read. (: So sorry for the shortness in length. I won't take as long to upload the upcoming chapter. Promise. Anyway, I hope you like it and please do vote, comment, and fan if you do. I love knowing what you think.

Laters, baby! <3 (:

_____________________________________________________________________________

I couldn't remember what had woken me up as I sat bolt upright in my bed, beads of sweat sliding down my moist neck and making my hair stick unattractively to my skin. But I did remember the simple fact that it had been a nightmare and that was all that I needed to remember. Yet as I stood from bed, unable to fall immediately into unconsciousness once again, small flashes of memory came back to mind, forming a still picture that chilled me in the darkness of my room. It had been dark in my dream, so dark that I could not see anything past the cage that I was trapped in. I had not been alone. There had been men talking loudly in boisterous tones as they mocked me but their voices were silent, no words spilling from their dirty mouths. Yet I knew they were taunting me and enjoying themselves, too.

Disturbed, I walked out of my room as quietly as I could, surreptitiously walking on the tips of my toes in hopes of not waking Cisco. It was a habit of mine to calm myself down after a nightmare with a chilling glass of water so the kitchen fridge was my destination.

About halfway there - my breath caught in my throat as I tried to make no sounds- I heard a deep sigh, making me stop abruptly in my path as my whole body became alert.

"Couldn't stay away from me any longer, eh?" Cisco's deep voice, husky with sleep, murmured through the darkness.

"I was being quiet." I whispered, deciding to ignore his question. There was a rustling movement, indicating he had positioned himself upright in the couch. I felt a bit guilty knowing I had woken him up in the middle of the night.

"Apparently not enough, honey. You'd have to fly for me not to hear you," He paused and I could almost feel the ends of his lips pull up in a haughty grin. "Otherwise my job would be up in shit's creek." He said and despite myself, I found a smile flirting with my lips, too.

Inspired by a sudden impulse of courage I walked away without a word, heading to the kitchen to finish what I had started. The water had restored its usual effect, soothing my throat and calming down my throbbing pulse. I could go back to sleep now, as horrible as it seemed.

It was on my way back to the room that Cisco spoke again, "What's wrong?"

I stopped moving, looking at his large, dark silhouette through the absence of light. "Nothing. Just a bad dream is all."

Cisco didn't respond immediately after I answered him but stayed quiet, almost as if debating what he should do.

"I'm going to go back to-"

He cut me off, "Come here." My eyes grew wide with shock at his words, gentle even through their rough command, but I could not move because I had no idea what to do.

"Come, Mila." He said my name, a low sweet murmur through the darkness that chilled my bones from where I stood. I couldn't help myself and found my feet silently moving toward him until I sat down on the farthest end of the couch away from him.

Cisco let out a low chuckle though there was no trace of humor in it. "No, mi amor. That's not what I meant at all." He said lightly and before I could protest I was laying on his lap, my whole body spread out on the couch. I gasped from the shock and he simply laughed, though thick with amusement this time.

My heart had abruptly returned to its secondary resting place in my throat and it was thudding painfully, my pulse throbbing with hot, awakened blood. He was holding me, one arm lying over my belly and warming the soft skin while the other soothed my damp hair. It was like a haven, safe and perfect, but I could not fall asleep in his arms knowing that he wouldn't. Cisco was sitting underneath me as if he were watching the news not getting ready to fall back into sleep.