Chapter 2 - Stupid Paparazzi

Here's the second chapter. Duh. (: I am super duper excited for this story and trust me, you'll love it! Well, at least I hope you do. Haha. Let me know what you think so far! Please remember to VOTE, COMMENT, & FAN if you enjoy it.  Thanks for reading and I hope you like it. :D <3

_____________________________________________________________________________

 ~Two Weeks Later~

I stared pensively at the set of white double doors that separated me from the hall. Yes, I wanted to go out but should I? I groaned aloud in frustration and threw my head back, annoyed. I was all dressed up in a cute yellow sundress and ballet flats, ready to go out but too scared to do so. The stupid paparazzi and reporters would surely get to me like they’ve been doing for the past two weeks since the news of my mom’s returning cancer had spread throughout the world like a blazing wildfire. 

They would ask me questions on how how I’m holding up and dealing with my mom’s sickness. They’d ask me questions so personal that I’d stare at them in disbelief through wide eyes. I would have liked to scream in their face, ‘What the hell is wrong with you, you stupid fuck?’ but that would only cause more of an uproar about ‘Supermodel Milani’s bad temper.’ Beats me, see if I care. Maybe I will yell soon. Maybe.

Yet what bothered me the most was when people would ask me how my mom was doing, when they showed compassion and sympathy because it felt like the thin wall I put up to hold myself together would crumble apart and I’d burst into tears. I hated sympathy. I felt weak and helpless. 

I put my hand to the door and almost opened it. Well, that was an advancement, Mila.

“Go out, Mila. Don’t let them keep you from doing what you want.” My mom’s soft voice said from behind me. I turned to look at her as she stood in her pink bathrobe, giving me a small smile. I returned it and nodded.

“You’re right. I won’t.” I said and got the courage to open the door. “I’ll see you later, mom.” 

“See you, baby.” She smiled and I left our apartment. I was walking out of the building two minutes later and I could see them outside by the water fountain where they could sit and act as if they weren’t there for a purpose. There was nothing I could do to keep them away because the hotel had no control over that area. So I walked to the taxi cabs and waited for them to hound me.

They appeared after two seconds. 

“Milani! Over here!” One shouted as flashing lights hit my face. 

“Milani is your mom alright? How are you dealing with everything?” Asked another. I ignored them.

“Where are you going?” Was the last thing I heard when I swung inside the cab. I gave him the address and he smiled, happy that the place was far so that I’d have to pay more. 

“You are famous girl?” The driver said in a thick Jamaican accent and I shook my head, causing him to shake his head and roll his eyes. If he knew I was famous then why had he asked?

We arrived at the ‘underground’ cafe located in the outskirts of Manhattan in a little over fifteen minutes. I payed the man and got out, heading over to the little shop. There was an obvious reason to why I hadn’t just gone to the nearest Starbucks. I wanted to go somewhere where I could escape and feel a sense of normalcy and peace. 

I ordered myself a small coffee but sadly no pastry because I couldn’t eat now and boy, did I want to eat that strawberry cheesecake. As soon as I left this place then I’d have to go to a photo shoot. I wasn’t even supposed to have the coffee but quite frankly I didn’t care. I sighed in my seat and took a sip of the coffee, looking out the window and wishing that my life would be different. That I’d be able to eat whenever I wanted, be a size bigger, be who I wanted. I never wanted to be a damn model for christ’s sake! Sure, it made life easier in some ways but I would’ve liked to have been something more exciting, more interesting! Like a chef or a wedding planner! I found myself smiling softly at the thought.