Epilogue

The day after Cisco had proposed to me he went to my apartment. I had assumed he would just bring me a few more clothes to make ado with until we could use the moving vans and bring all of my things to his apartment at the end of the week. But instead he came home to me with a somber expression, holding a small stack of neatly lined papers and a tiny, pink velvet box.

He had told me about the papers, telling me they were a number of things. First, they were the documents needed to retrieve the money my mother had left Cisco for his service. He said we just needed to go to her safe deposit and he'd put it into my account because in his mind, it was rightfully my money since 'protecting me had stepped over the lines of a job and into personal'. I had rolled my eyes and reminded him that that wouldn't matter once we were married; everything would be ours. He'd smiled, laughed a little, and kissed me.

Second, the papers were literally my mother's couture fashion line. She had left it to me... Yet I gave it away. I knew she would be proud of me, happy that I was doing my best to make myself happy. She would've smiled up there. So I signed half of rights to the line over to my wonderful, fashionista cousin Molly, knowing that if there was anyone to continue my mother's legacy, it was her. I gave her a good sum of money so that she would be able to carry on with the expenses of running something so grand and made her my co-owner of the line. I trusted and loved the girl, believed in her ability to carry out my mother's dream because, like the family genes I had failed to inherit, this was Molly's dream, too.

And then he'd given me the little box he held, saying, "Your mother left you this." It was a necklace, a beautiful silver necklace with a small, white pearl. The pearl was guarded by swirls of strong silver metal, giving an elegant and simple beauty. It had brought tears to my eyes, and a terrible yearning for my mom to be with me. I wanted her to see me walk down the aisle to Francisco, to see me have children and watch them as they grew. And I wanted to see her here, with those grandchildren playing at her feet.

A small piece of paper had rested in the crevice of the small box, tucked carefully inside. I had pried it out with my fingers, unfolded it, and read, "Whenever you feel like I'm far away, just look at the sky. I'm up there, I am, and I'm looking down on you. Remember my fascination with the sky? The weather and seasons? Well, I'm sure I still love them. And that I sit on a cushiony sofa, looking over the earth as the seasons change, and waiting for Autumn. I know that so many important things will happen to you as you keep living, sweetie, and I don't want you to feel as if I'm nowhere near you when they do. So whenever you need me by your side, wear my necklace, one that I have always treasured and kept safe; your father gave it to me the night of our wedding. I hope you, too, will keep it safe to your heart. Stay safe, be strong, and cherish those who love you and the moments they give you. Love, your mommy."

So now, in the present, I wore my mother's necklace. If there was ever a time when I wanted her near me, it was this one.

I patted my belly over the silky white fabric of my wedding dress. Molly, Delilah, Tina, and Vanessa- Cisco's sister and my soon-to-be sister in law- had helped me into the beautiful gown just moments ago.

"Oh, you. It doesn't show, honey. Not yet," Delilah said, smiling at me. She looked beautiful with her blonde hair picked up in a loose up-do, wearing the peach bridesmaids' dress that I had chosen for the four ladies to wear.

"You're right. I wouldn't even care if the baby bump showed; it's still too good to be true. But I guess it's fortunate not to look like a balloon on my big day, huh?" I teased, causing not only Delilah, but the other four ladies around me to laugh.

I was two months and two weeks pregnant... And Cisco and I, along with our family and friends, were dying to know the sex of the baby. We were even playing around with names already.