Chapter 19 - Common Sins

~Cisco~

I watched John Benton upon arrival, eyeing his every movement in the method of uncovering his intentions, whether good or bad. I watched as he looked at her, his eyes professional and calm. Nothing in them screamed of malice so I immediately took a breath. The eyes were the gateway to the soul, huh? But I still wasn’t letting my guard down. I needed certainty. 

The lawyer greeted us with as much impeccability as in the way he dressed: clean black slacks, white button-down shirt, plaid tie, smoothened hair, designer glasses and briefcase. He seemed to be in his early fifties. The man looked harmless enough, but appearances were better known to mislead than not. 

He was simply a little perplexed. Who wouldn’t be? People who had millions of dollars waiting for them in a will usually jumped the gun, like a child on Christmas day. And it was understandable. Human greed was one of the deadliest most common sins. So when Mila decided not to sign for the inheritance just yet, Benton’s eyebrows furrowed with confusion. But he let it go, agreeing with his client. He’d need to hear from her within sixty days to know what would be done with the vast amount of money. 

Needless to say, there was nothing slightly off about the lawyer. He was just any another man and I hoped he’d not get tangled in this mess. 

So Mila had frozen her inheritance... Did I expect anything else?

I was pleased and she knew it. 

If she’d have signed for her inheritance, the money would be unprotected in a flimsy bank account. And so would she. Mila would only become a means of collateral damage. Having the money right where it was could be used as an advantage to us, for they’d need her alive. Why? So that she could sign the money over to them. They would plan to capture her, force her to sign the money over, then mark her as good as dead. They wouldn’t want any loose ends. 

That’s why I would always be with her, keeping her protected. Even if it cost me my life. But I couldn’t afford to think that way; I was no good to her dead. 

“Cisco?” Mila said my name, her voice soft and sheltered. She brought me out of my thoughts. I wanted to hold her close, tell her how much I needed her. I wanted to assure her that I’d keep her safe.

“Hmm?” She walked to me, looking up into my eyes with her tender, worried gaze. “What’s the matter?” I asked, fearful that she felt troubled. 

She breathed out, her gaze flickering to and fro my eyes. “Nothing, I just want to know if I did the right thing.” 

She looked so troubled. I took her into my arms, soothing her hair with my fingers and resting my chin on her head. “Of course you did, sweetheart. Why would you think otherwise?” 

“I’m never sure of what I do around you.” She whispered against my chest. What? Carefully, I put her at arms length, needing to look at her face. I could see the fleeting surprise in her eyes from my holding her. And it bothered me. It really bothered me. Why did it surprise her that I wanted to hold her, comfort her?

“What’s that supposed to mean?” I asked, an eyebrow risen in question.

“Ignore it. It slipped out.” She blushed.

I shook my head. “No, tell me.” I pressed, trying to calm her as my fingers ran up and down her forearm. 

“Why should I tell you when half the things I want to know about you, you never answer?” Mila asked, her eyes accusing, wounded.

I sighed, not knowing what to do. “What do you want to know?” 

Her face told me she knew I didn’t want to engage in twenty questions. But she didn’t give a damn. “Many things. For instance, you didn’t answer me yesterday when I asked about far guards. Don’t think I forgot.”