15. You'll Be Mine

Chaper 15 

You'll be mine...

My doorbell rings just as I set foot in the living room. I turn back and stare at the door. Who could be here so early? We're not recording or writing today... so it can't be the band and Phil usually tries to call or text first. I rub my eyes listlessly and rake my hand through my sleep-crushed curls. Sleep hasn't been my best friend for months now. It's like no matter now much I sleep, I still wake up tired. I walk to the door and turn the knob.

I rub my eyes once more. "Can I he-" is all I get out before the sight steals my breath. Laylani stands in front of me in a summer dress. The top of it is a pale pink color and the bottom is white covered in flowers; a white ribbon tied into a bow sits in the center just below her chest. Over it she has on a denim jacket and silver flats. Her hair is straight, falling to her chest well past her shoulders with her bangs pinned out of her eyes. Her belly protrudes significantly, perfectly rounded and molded to her small frame. She is stunning. The sun shines on her light brown and blonde hair showing of its gloss. Her jade eyes are glassy, water sitting along her lower lashes. I watch as she takes a deep breath, closing her eyes momentarily before looking into mine.

"I need to talk to you." She swallows hard and purses her lips to speak. "The way I acted was immature and I was just caught up in all the things that happened on top of the pregnancy and I just...I didn't know what or how to say what I was thinking and feeling. I was scared, hurt and angry but I had no right to treat you the way I did. I'm sorry. I don't want our baby to grow up without her daddy; I can't imagine my childhood without mine. You're my best friend B, you always have been and I miss you," she says as tears begins to streak her cheeks. "I'm so sorry," she takes in a breath as the tears begin to interfere with the clarity of her voice. "Bruno, I love you; I may not have known it when we were kids but my feelings haven't changed since then. I've loved have since I was a little girl and there's no was..I can stop now."

"Rosi," I breathe. I put my arms around her and pull her close. "Rosi, you don't have to..." I step away from her and move my hands from her waist to her face. "I've loved you since I was seventeen but it took me eleven years to realize it. I forgive you." I wipe away a tear from her cheek, cup her cheek in in my palm, my finger at the back of her neck as I position my thumb beside her ear, keeping a short distance and putting very little pressure on her belly. She kisses me tenderly, slowly ushering me closer. I break our lock and rest my forehead against hers.  

" I can't believe I treated you the way I did," she says. "I'm so, so sorry Bruno."  

"None of that matters. Girl, I'm crazy about you." I kiss her again but as I do, something wet touches my hand. I make space between us and see a long tear mark rolling down her left cheek.  

"Rosi, why are you crying?" I say, chuckling a little. As I blink, a tear of my own falls.  

"I should ask you the same question," she laughs wiping the tear from her face. She wipes the one from my face next, smiling.  Looking down I place my hand against her belly. She smiles brightly a ray of sun growing on her face.  

"How far along?" I ask touching her belly.  

"Twenty-six weeks." She replies. Happiness bursts across her face, glowing. The love in her eyes green eyes is beautiful thing I've ever seen. She radiates the same confidence she has always had coupled with the sheer excitement.

"Come in," I push the door open with my foot. Opening her hand with mine our fingers instantly lace together. She wobbles gingerly, leaning backwards as she takes each step. I assist her helping her over to the couch in my living room. "I'll be right back." I head to the kitchen and divide strawberries, pineapple, cantaloupe, and honeydew melon into two bowls then I grab two forks and head back into the living room. I hand her a bowl and a fork.