12. You Held The Door

Chapter 12

All I know is we said "hello", so dust off your highest hopes, and all I know is pouring rain, everything has changed.

Laylani's POV

L P.O.V.

"Hi mom," I say as a weak smile stretches across my face. I pull my blanket closer to my body and reach for my mug of hot chocolate.

"And how is my baby girl? How's that clothing line you've been raving about?" she asks as I hear a baby laughing in the background. 

"I'm...a...good ma," I take clear my throat, swallowing the words I prepared in one gulp.

"You sure you're alright baby? You sound a little under the weather," worry finds it's way into her tone and I suddenly feel even worse about not telling her. I can't tell her I'm not coming home for Christmas...I just can't. 

"I'm alright mommy, don't worry. I'm just sitting under some blankets watching old episodes of 'What Not To Wear'. I bet you're already starting on Christmas dinner aren't you," I tease attempting to lighten the mood. 

"Of course and this year I have a little helper, Dessie come to Nanna. Chanti, I'm putting you on speaker." I hear the beep of the speaker function as it comes on. 

"Hi Dessie, its auntie!" I call out. 

"Hi Auntie Chanti! I miss you a lot." my niece says into the receiver.

"I miss you too honey," I say back. 

"Are you coming to Nanna's house for Christmas?"

"Maybe."

"Please, please, please! I wanna see you!" 

"I'll see what I can do sweetheart, ok?"

"Ok, I love you auntie,"

"Love you too baby." 

"And there she goes," my mom says. "She's off, making cookies with Kea. She's gotten so big."

" I know, I've see Trev's pictures of her on Facebook."

"She misses you, you know?"

"Does she?" 

"She's been asking about you since the arrived on Saturday. You and Romano are coming for Christmas aren't you?"

"I want to mom but I don't know if I can. I promise I'll try." I say putting on a happier voice.

"Alright love, let me know what your decision is."

"I will."

"I love you."

"Love you too mom, bye."

_____

"What we're you planning to do for Christmas?" Bruno asks, he voice coming through the receiver. I stare out the  window, snow falling slowly from the sky, blanketing the buildings outside. 

"I was going to go home but..." my voice cuts out.

"You're going to have to tell her. You can't hide from her."

"I know but I- she'll be..." I say, words only coming in staggered breaths. 

"Look Laylani." The absence of my nickname makes my real name sound foreign coming from his lips. "I'm not saying that you have to come, but I think that you should spend Christmas somewhere familiar with people you know instead of alone in L.A. I'm setting up reservations to fly home for the holiday and I think you should come with me."