39 • The Truth

Alex's Point of View

I paced back and forth on the front step while biting my nails - well, what was left of them at least. I had arrived five minutes ago but I still hadn't knocked on the door. What if I was making a mistake?

Keeping my relationship with Jack a secret was almost like a protective bubble. What if, without the secrecy, he would get bored of me? It's not like it hadn't happened before.

I was fully prepared to turn around and leave when the door opened, stopping me in my tracks. "Hey, I thought I heard someone out here" Jack said with a warm smile.

"yeah, sorry. I guess I'm just nervous" I eventually answered, averting my gaze to the ground beneath my feet. I could feel my heart preparing to beat out of my chest. The last thing I wanted right now was to face the rom currently full o our best friends.

Jack slowly walked towards me , reaching a hand out. I felt him gently lift my head up so my eyes were met with his dark brown ones.

"Stop worrying. They're our friends, they'll understand" he said softly, his eyes never leaving mine. I new he was trying to reassure me so I forced a small smile onto my face as I took his hand in my own.

"You're right" I said, hoping to sound sincere. Jack wasn't aware of the extent of my insecurities and I didn't intend on letting him know right now.

Jack didn't seem to question my answer and if he did, he didn't show any signs of it. Instead, he led me inside where we were met by six confused faces.

"Are we finally getting an explanation for the cryptic text saying we need to talk?" London asked playfully while waving her phone in the air. Jack chuckled beside me but I only smiled, still doubting myself like before.

"Yeah, if we were in a relationship I'd be thinking you're about to break up with me" Jackson laughed from beside her. My eyes widened slightly at the mention of a relationship but no one seemed to notice; they were too distracted by Zach dramatically gasping.

"Jack! Are you leaving me?" he exclaimed, gripping his chest as if he had been shot in the heart. I rolled my eyes at his idiocy but for the first time that day, I allowed a real smile to form on my face.

"Zach, I'm sorry, but it has to be this way. We would never have worked" Jack answered, playing along. I looked up at him and raised my eyebrows in a questioning manner.

Once Jack saw the look I was giving him his eyes widened and he cleared his throat. Laughter broke out at his reaction and I smiled once again; he was so easy to mess with.

"Okay, okay. Enough fun and games. I just want to know what all of this is even for" Jonah interrupted, voicing everyone's questions.

Jack looked down at me for confirmation and I took in a deep breath. Slowly, I interlaced our fingers once again and nodded slightly at him. It was now or never.

"Alex and I are a couple"  Jack stated with a wide grin on his face. The room fell into silence and, for a moment, I began to wonder if it was our friends I should have been worrying about after all.

However, my doubts were soon replaced by a smile when I heard London squeal from the floor. She instantly got up and ran into my arms, hugging me tightly. I giggled as I wrapped my arms around my best friend, hugging her back.

"Congrats guys" I heard Daniel say as I eventually fought my way out of London's tight grip. "Yeah, now we can go on double dates" Jonah added.

"Hey, if anyone is going on a double date with them, it's me" Zach retorted. The two continued arguing while I simply stared at the two of them in complete confusion. Since when did they even have girlfriends?