34 • Carnival

The picture above is Alex's outfit and the video is the ride mentioned

Third Person Point of View

The days went by fast and before Alex knew it, Saturday had arrived; it was date day. Somehow, the pair had managed to keep the date a secret from everyone else; no one even knew that Alex had stopped ignoring Jack.

The only person who knew that they had spoken at all that week was Zach and, since they hadn't been together after that, he assumed that they had just argued again.

Now, it was a few minutes before Jack was going to pick Alex up and she had been freaking out all morning. She had no idea where they were going and all Jack had said was "dress casual."

What was casual? Was it sweatpants and a hoodie? Was it jeans and a band t-shirt? Was it a skirt and a crop top? Alex honestly had no idea and it stressed her out for hours.

In the end, she wore red checked trousers, a black t-shirt, a blue denim jacket and black combat boots. She had no idea if this is what Jack had meant or not; he could be planning to go to the beach for all she knew and she definitely wasn't dressed for that.

Alex jumped in her seat as she heard a knock on the door. Suddenly, she had become a lot more anxious for this date. What if she was underdressed? What she was overdressed? What if Jack took one look at her and realised what a big mistake he had made?

She took a deep breath and forced away all of her doubts and insecurities. It was now or never. She smiled as she opened the door to reveal none other than Jack Avery standing there with a grin on his face.

They both seemed to stare for an eternity, taking it all in. They were finally going on their first date. A blush creeped onto Alex's cheeks as Jack's eyes wandered over her, taking in her beauty.

"Please don't tell me I'm over or under dressed" Alex eventually said, only half joking. Jack chuckled at this and shook his head. "You look amazing" he reassured, extending his hand out towards the blue-haired girl.

Alex took it in her own and smiled brightly at him. It felt weird for the pair walking around holding each other's hand and acting like an awkward couple on their first date; it was new.

The whole time they were walking, Alex tried to get Jack to tell her where he was taking her but he refused. He seemed to be going for the cliche surprise first date thing, Alex was just hoping it wouldn't backfire for her.

After what felt like the most agonizing walk of her entire life, they had finally arrived. It was a carnival. Alex could sense Jack's hesitation from beside her; he was worried that she wouldn't like it. What he didn't know was how obsessed Alex was with carnivals.

A smile instantly spread across her face as she jumped into Jack's arms. "Oh my God, I love carnivals!" she exclaimed as Jack held onto her waist before setting her down on the ground again.

He lightly chuckled and smiled at her. "Say that again" he said, loving the sound of her voice. Alex frowned up at him, slightly confused. "Say what again?" she asked. "Oh my God" Jack repeated, intertwining his fingers with hers.

"Oh my God" Alex said, not having any idea why he wanted her to say it. Jack's smile grew as she spoke. "You're accent made that sound really cute so I wanted to hear it again" he explained casually.

Alex's cheeks burned red from this. She was a little self-conscious about her accent sometimes because of everyone making fun of her British slang, but Jack made her feel special because of it.

"Okay Avery, you've been cliche enough with the whole surprise date thing. I'm not letting you win a stuffed animal for me" she playfully threatened, hoping to change the subject. Jack laughed at this and began to lead her into the carnival.