24 // more valuable than van gogh

_____________________________

24 // more valuable than van gogh.

Even weeks later, Wren and I still couldn't wrap our minds around the fact that Shawna had planned and sent us an invitation to the baby shower that would be for the baby. The card had both of our names written on it and 'It's a Girl,' in big glittery letters on the front. Obviously, this was a front of hers. Why would she want to pretend that everything was smooth sailing in front of all of her friends and family when that wasn't the case?

Shay, Sam, Noah and I all gathered into the coziness of the diner. During the beginning hours of lunch, the diner was usually busy but we were to able to slide into our familiar booths and get ourselves comfortable. The smell of the daily special wafted through the air and made my mouth water. I would surely be having one of those. Shay and Sam sat across from Noah and I. They're eyes were glued to the bright light on Sams tablet. They laughed, gaped and awed back and forth at the latest celebrity gossip.

Noah and I sat quietly, scanning the menu. Why we both browsed through the menu was beyond me because we always ordered the same dish every time.

Ever since I'd gotten pregnant, there's been this undeniable tension between us and when Noah had caught Wren and I kissing at the art gallery, it was always awkward when I was around him.

"So," I cleared my throat and directed my words to Noah. "How has you latest case been coming along?"

"Good," he simply said. His blue eyes quickly darted over to me before looking at the laminated menu in his hand.

Now I knew something was wrong. Noah wasn't the type to give short simple answers. If you asked him a question, best believe you would be receiving a thought out answer.

"Is everything alright with you?" I asked, pinching my eyebrows together in concern.

"Who me?" He asked, placing his menu onto the shiny diner table. "Yeah, i'm fine." His eyes were hard and still as he spoke to me. He gave me a fake smile before resting his head against the window.

"Hey Lesra," Shay beamed. "Did you decide if you're going to the baby shower yet?"

I shrugged. "I'm still not sure yet."

"Not much time left. It's in a few days."

"I know," I murmured.

Apparently, Shawna hadn't even told her best friend, Shay's older sister, Julie about everything that had happened between her and Wren. All she knew was that they lived under separate roofs 'for now' and that's what Julie shared with Shay. I kept things between Wren and I private and never mentioned him.

At first, Shay had a lot of speculation when she had found out that Wren and I would be living together. When I explained to her that we would actually be living in two different houses and that he was rarely home, she stopped digging. Not only that, but Tone consumed most of her thoughts and the last thing on her mind was anything to do with Wren and I.

"It might be a little weird though," I continued. "Baby showers are usually for the expecting mothers so I don't see why I would need to be there.. I really don't know what I'll do."

A part of me wanted Wren to go and hope that the two would find mutual respect for each other while there. Maybe then, Shawna would take back her threat to take the baby. They would could come to an understanding and maybe even a smooth divorce if that's what the two still wanted. However, Wren refused to go unless I tagged along with.

"Well, i'll be there and we can keep each other company?" She tried to persuade me.

"I'll continue to think about it," I smiled. "By the way, how has things been with Tone?"