07 // crisp bills and table cloth.

_____________________________

07 // crisp bills and tablecloth.

I trudged up the stairs with both of my hands gripped tightly unto plastic bags. I set the bags in front of Mrs. Gonzales door and knocked. Seconds later, the door creaked upon and in front of me was the short Mexican lady; her silver hair a mop on her head.

"Iy Chica! Gracias gracias!" Mrs. Gonzalez exclaimed, taking the bags up. "My dear, I have something for you, you must come in!"

"For me?"

"Yes! Now come in!"

For as long as I've neighbored Mrs. Gonzalez, not once have I stepped foot inside of her house. All I ever heard from there was the loud blasting of latin music. Today though, it was quiet.

The strong smell of incents engulfed me as I stepped foot inside her apartment. The lights were dimmed except for a few lamps and candles. The place was colourful, though. The walls were white but paintings and other art covered every inch of it. Pottery bowls stood their place on coffee tables and several tribal rugs lay on the floor.

"Where is it?" Mrs. Gonzalez shouted out as she rummaged back and forth through her house.  Finally, she came back out to the living room with something in her hand. 

 "This is for the baby," Mrs. Gonzales said, laying one of her frail hands on my growing baby bump. She closed her eyes and smiled to herself. Very weird if you asked me.

"Ahhh," She murmured to herself. "la belleza de vida."

I looked at the thing in her hand; it was some sort of doll.

"What is that?" I asked. "You said that you had something for me, not for the baby."

"I guess I got mixed up," she shrugged. "Muneca para el bebe."

I laughed nervously. "You bought a doll for the baby?"

"No, no, no! I did not buy this, no. This doll was passed down from generation to generation. I wasn't able to have any kids, and it's too late for me. This is for the baby."

"That's really kind of you, Mrs. Gonzalez, but I don't think giving me stuff for this baby is appropriate.." I trailed off.

I took the doll from her anyways.

"Eh, maybe you are right. Maybe the mother will let the baby keep it?"

"Yeah, maybe," I nodded. "I should get going now."

"I will see you soon, my dear," she said, waving me off.

.

.

I was slouched on the couch when my phone began to ring.

"Hey Lesra, are you still going?" Shay asked, her voice urgent.

"Err, going where?" I asked sitting up. 

"My sisters wedding. Have you forgotten just that fast?"

I rolled my eyes, not really in the mood to go anywhere. "I haven't forgotten Shay."

"Good, because i'm right outside!" I could hear the loud honking of her Jeep through the window.

I stood up quickly, my feet ached in protest. I looked through the window to see what I presumed were Samuels arms waving through the rolled down window.

I sighed deeply. "Just give me twenty minutes," I pleaded.

"Jeez Lesra, hurry up! We're already as late as it is!"