21 // baby beluga.

_____________________________

21 // baby beluga.

"Baby beluga in the deep blue sea,

swim so wild and you swim so free,

heaven above and the sea below,

and a little white whale on the go."

I leaned back in the white rocking chair and turned the page of the baby song book.

"Baby beluga, oh baby beluga,

is the water warm?

Is your momma home with you so happy."

I laughed as the little one began to kick towards the left side of my stomach. "Do you like it when I sing to you?" I cooed, massaging my hand in that same area.

"Is that you singing to my baby?" Wren asked out of nowhere. The sound of another person in the house made me jump in my seat.

"You just freaking scared me," I frowned, picking up a stuffed elephant from off of the book shelf beside me and throwing it at him.

He dodged it and continued walking towards me. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to."

"I thought you were at work?" I questioned.

"I was, but I decided to come home early," he replied. He sat down on the ottoman that came with the rocking chair; right in between my legs. He puckered his lips and planted a kiss on my tummy.

"Baby Beluga," he nodded after reading the cover of the book I had in my hand. "I thought you were supposed to read the words in a book. Not sing them."

"You are, but this book is a sing along. I decided not to play the CD because I already know the words to the song," I smiled. "My mom used to sing it to me when I was much younger."

"Mmm, maybe she'll come out singing and not cursing. Speaking of, how has your mom been?" He asked. He began caressing my legs and looking at me intently, making me feel hot all over.  I had told him about her being sick and how her cancer had begun to go into remission.

"She's getting better," a faint of a smile appeared on my lips. Maybe one day in the far future she'd get to meet Wren. "Thanks for asking."

"Of course," he stopped caressing my legs and squeezed them lightly.

"I've been spending almost everyday with her ever since my boss let me go on maternity leave two weeks ago," I said, running my hand through his brown hair.

"And what about your father?" He asked. "I've never heard you mention him before."

"There's no point in mentioning someone that isn't worth the mention," I leaned forward to place the Baby Beluga book back on the shelf. "The last time I saw him was when I was three. I'm twenty-six now."

"I'm sorry Les," he murmured, caressing my leg again. "l can't believe I put you through all that shit all those months ago when you already had so much to deal with."

"Stop apologizing, will you?" I scooted to the edge of the rocking chair and used the arm rests to push myself up. Wren sat back on the stool so I could pass him. "What's that envelope that you have in your hand?" I'd saw him carry it in but had decided to wait and ask him about it.

"These," he undid the silver latch on the manila folder and pulled out a few sheets of paper. "Are the divorce papers. I've already went through and signed them," he overlooked the sheets one last time before sliding them back into the folder. "Now, I need to get them to Shawna and make sure she signs them too."