16 // out on top.

_____________________________

16 // out on top.

I carefully placed a vase on top of the coffee table and finished it off by filling it with a variety of flowers that I had picked from outside. Hopefully Shawna wouldn't notice and to be honest, she didn't strike me as the gardening type. It was my first attempt at adding color to the bland guest house. The only thing left was the delivery of my stuff which were still inside of Wrens car.

As if on cue, three knocks at the front door caused me to swing my head in that direction. Approaching it, I unlocked it and went back to sitting on the couch without opening the door for him.

He used his foot to slowly open the door because his hands were occupied with the boxes.

"Good morning," he greeted, placing the boxes along the wall. I noticed that he only brought in two boxes instead of the three at a time that he boasted about just the day before.

I picked up my phone from the coffee table and tapped on the first app that came across my eye, ignoring him the whole time.

I narrowed my eyes at my phone, trying to solely focus my attention on whatever was displayed on the screen in front of me. The floorboards creaked as Wren came up from behind the couch and peeked over my shoulders. "Temple run, why am I not surprised?" he chuckled.

I continued to ignore him.

"Ah, I see, you're giving me the cold shoulder."

"Dammit, Wren!" I shot up out of the sofa and turned to face him. "Can you just bring in my shit and be done with it?"

His eyes widened a bit at my sudden outburst. Actually, it shouldn't have been that sudden for him. He should have expected it to come after yesterday. 

Instead of replying, he simply nodded his head and walked back out the door. I rolled my eyes and slowly lowered myself back unto the couch. 

About a minute later, I heard him creak back into the house, set the boxes down and then exit again. He did this several more times before helping himself to a seat on the same couch I sat in. A pillow sat idly between us.

"You know what, I need to get going for work," I mentioned about to get up again. He knew I was mad and I took him sitting in the same couch as me as some sort of mockery.

He extended his arm over and placed it on my thigh. A gentle restrain to keep me seated. "Wait just a second. I wanted to talk to you first."

"Listen Wren," I began. I shot a heated glare his way. "I can't, no I wont continue to fall victim to you and your constant changes in mood. How the hell are you going to blame me for being the reason why you forgot about your own fucking anniversary?" I slapped his hand away from my thigh and stood up. "I asked you to help me pack my stuff and I told you that you didn't have to stay but of course you didn't listen. So fuck you and fuck your fingers that would rather point at everybody else to take the blame rather than yourself. I can't wait for this to be over so I can hand over this baby and be the hell away from you and your wife!"

My heart thumped in my chest and my hands were clenched at my sides.

"Now you wait just a second," Wren shouted. He too stood up from the couch. His tall stature hovered over me but I wasn't backing down. "Don't you dare bring my wife into this. After all she's done for you-"

"What exactly has she done for me?" I asked, cutting him off. "Given me a place to stay? Well, I didn't want to come here in the first place. Let me use one of the cars? I could of used my own to begin with. Paying me to have her baby? This is my favor to her."