The Devil And The Scarlet Dress

»She,

                                                In the dark,

                                               Found light

                                 Brighter than many ever see

                                          Langston Huges

Startled by his presence, I turned around. There he was, all human-like. Ancient pain of  broken hearts still screamed through his being, confessing sins of the past.

There are those who fear the dark, and there are those who don't. Lucifer was one of those who did not tremble before it, rather he embraced it, for he was one of the nightmares that lightlessness hid.

»Salome just explained to me a few things.« I said, hoping he missed most of our conversation.

»Curiosity,« His voice delivered that word with a seductive note.

»I wanted to know.« I faced Salome again, who carefully examined our conversation. She had that smirk on her face, as if she knew something we did not.

Lucifer stood behind me, silent. The way he consumed quietness was enchanting, almost frightening. It made the hair on the back of my neck stand up, leaving me vulnerably aware of something existing where I could not see. Once in a while I caught a glimpse of a shadow in the corner of my eye.

»So,« The lady in black lace dress asked. »did you find what you were looking for?«

»If it exists, it must be there. I am awaiting for the results

»Where were you?« I asked, steering his gaze towards mine.

Lucifer locked his arms behind his back, standing arrogantly. Slowly he moved towards the red satin sofa. »Ask not where I have been, rather ask where we are going.«

»Where?«

»Yes,« Salome lazily took another puff out of the dying cigarette. »where, indeed?«

Red of the sofa somehow highlighted that invisible fire that surrounded him. Every painting in the room, every statue now seemed as if they were looking at him. »A night out might lighten the mood, after all, we are in Paris.«

Suddenly it struck me. »I didn't pack a dress...« Which of course meant I didn't even own anything remotely 'going out' like. Unless the night life in Paris loved anime imprinted shirts.

»I will lend you one.« She said, putting out the cigarette in an ashtray. Salome grabbed my hand and dragged me up the stairs. For someone so frail looking, she was certainly strong. »That will be your room,« She pointed towards a door on the left. »your suitcase had already arrived a few hours ago, it's all in there.« The coldness of her hand reminded me of snowflakes, the first ones you catch. They feel like frostbite kisses on your palms.

Her home was a home that an old lady would enjoy. Hardwood floor, dark furniture, flashy paintings and that stuffy atmosphere that carried the scent of fresh mint candy and old closets, filled with memories. But I guess, in a way, she was an old lady. The floor in her bedroom slightly squeaked as we entered, like a friendly hello.

A large bed almost took up most of the room, and heavy velvet curtains covered the windows. If there were no light turned on, it'd be pitch black. A mirror with a bit of rust in the corners was facing the bed, and a notebook with a pen layed on a mahogany nightstand.

Salome ruffled through her clothes, when she finally came across what she was searching for. »Ma chérie, this screams your name.« A beautiful scarlet dress with rose pattern was handed to me. Scarlet shaded into dark crimson, inhaling life into neatly sewed roses.

I put it on and the dress fit like a glove. It almost reached my knees, and long sleeves made sure that I needen't no jacket. Open back dress revealed my shoulder blades and that three tiny birthmarks, which formed the constellation of Orion.

Even Lucifer admired it. He didn't say anything, but I saw a slight twitch of his lips. I noticed those little things about him now, even if he believed that he tricked the world into seeing him heartless.

Our destination was centred in the middle of Paris, one of the night clubs, only a few steps away from Notre Dame. The night was wintry cold, but I was kindly offered his jacket. Which surprised me. I wasn't used to his kindness. It was pleasant though, the heat of his body warmed it up, and it still carried that spicy scent of his. It fit me like a hug.

Small alleys confused and riddled me with questions. The more we winded up the city, the more lost I felt. Like a stone maze, the streets of Paris locked me in their charm. Black door stopped our hike through the alleys, and my stare was pierced by a very long name.

International Niche For the Everlasting, Rakish, Notorious and Outstanding.

Well, that was a strange name for a night club.

I cleared my throat. »What kind of a club is this, exactly?«

Lucifer and Salome glanced at each other. »It's a place for the,« Spoke Salome. »extra-ordinary

I stared at the sign again. »Oh,« A bit of sense finally occurred. »I get it.« I read the large letters. »Inferno. How clever. But, doesn't that mean Hell

»It is not actual Hell,« Said Lucifer. »if that is what you are wondering. It is just a place suitable for certain people

A quiet laugh escaped my lips. »What, like vampires?«

They looked at each other again, with no response.

»Is this a vampire club?« My whole body was tingling with fan-girl hormones.

»Well,« She began explaining as we entered the place. »more like – demon and demon-like, club.«

Instead of walking into a crowded place with the rest of the arriving guests, we were escorted towards the basement area. There the mood changed. It went from a night club to an underground club. Heavier. Dusky. Alluring. Dangerous.

Above the large metal door, hanged a sign.

Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Spoke the Dante Alighieri quote. I guess the demonic had its own sense of humor.

Faint shivering mixed with the deep breaths I took. I was both excited and terrified. A gentle hand touched my lower back, reassuring me of his presence. »Are you scared?« He whispered in my ear. His voice tickled my insides.

»Why should I be?« I protested with a stubborn tone.

A quiet cackle that left his throat made me nervous, and I knew he felt the shivers going up my spinal cord. »Because all your nightmares, everything that hides in your closet, and under your bed,« His voice was still but a whisper, teasing my earlobe with that almost-kiss. »is right behind this door.«

»I'm not frightened.« My mind was determined. »After all, aren't you their King

»They do not know me as their Lord when I am in this, human form. They cannot feel my essence.«

I saw him staring at me, in the corner of my eye. »Won't they know I'm human?«

»Oh ma chérie,« Salome grabbed me by the hand like a proper gentleman as the door finally opened. »you're not just human anymore. You're cursed.«