The Devil And Layla

• Dedicated to German guy in Green Swimsuit

                                   »I wish I wrote the way I thought;

                   Obsessively, Incessantly, With maddening hunger.

                                  I'd write to the point of suffocation.

                          I'd write myself into nervous breakdowns,

          Manuscripts spiralling out like tentacles into abysmal nothing.

                     And I'd write about you a lot more than I should

                                                  Benedict Smith

Looking into her eyes was like looking into a mirror; I knew that the same key unlocks our spirit. I have never met her, yet I knew her all of my life.

Her fur was darker than the night itself, the slight curly shape of it was bending against her strong body, creating waves of twilight on the deepest ocean.

I slowly stood up, facing the majestic creature. Even as I was standing up, the black panther reached my height at my shoulder. She was unusually large for her species, almost like one of those hybrid cross between a lion and a tigress.

The wolf got back on its feet, but the angry cat hiss of my Waneta scared him off.

She met my eyes with hers, moved in my reaching distance and slightly bowed her head. I went with my first instinct and placed my hand on her forehead, gently stroking her stubble-like fur. I felt the warmth of her flesh beneath my fingers, and the strength of her muscles and unbreakable bones. I traced my fingers down her very wide nose, and up her pointy whiskers.

She shook her head and let out a quiet growl. She didn't seem to like me touching her whiskers.

»What's your name?« I foolishly asked, as if she could provide me with an answer.

She looked at me with a blank expression and sniffed my hands with her moist snout.

I had never had a pet before, and I'm not sure how my family would react if I brought home almost two meters tall wild cat, and I can't exactly sneak her in tucked into my jacket...

 I wasn't afraid of her either. I know that a normal human response would be something like – running away, but I guess we already established that I strangely don't posses such reaction. Besides, I knew she won't hurt me. I can't explain how, I just knew.

All of a sudden she snarled in a threatening manner like before, and focused her ferocious glare at something that was standing behind me.

I swiftly turned my head, only to see a pathetic person, whose face was obviously scorched by flames, which left a smoke-colored patterns all over, and a few tares into his clothing here and there. His hair was jutting all over the place, and when he brushed through them with his fingers a few specks of ashes feel on his shoulder.

Although he looked like a right mess, the smoky appearance kinda suited him.

The panther almost jumped at him, growling with all her might, and extending her long, metal-like claws out of her paws.

»No, no!« I quickly shifted the positions, extending my palm towards her in a stopping manner. I was standing between her and him, but the beast kept on growling and hissing in his direction.

»Control your Waneta.« Said Luc.

»I don't know how!« I got annoyed at yet one of his many ignorance's. »Why doesn't she like you anyway?« I asked. »I mean, I can't blame her-«