Chapter Twenty

24th November 1963

The Vermeil Room

Bobby poked his head in the door before entering. He closed the door. It was nightime, the kids were asleep. He had told them he was heading home but he knew he had to do these two tasks before he would have to leave the White House for good, after the funeral the next day. People were still piling in upstairs but when he was done downstairs, he could have time upstairs. 

He walked into the empty Vermeil Room, up to the back wall. His late sister in law's portrait hung there. In her golden rode, and her radiant smile, the portrait was unique in many ways. But it showed Jackie. The woman who was devoted to her duty and was a loving mother to her children and a darling wife to her husband. 

Bobby looked at the portrait. He sobbed. "Jackie, I know you're up there. Looking down on the children. I promise, you and Jack, who are away from all this grief down here, will be proud of them" Bobby sobbed. He leaned forward and touched the portrait. On the canvas he could feel the bumps of the paint and the outline. 

"I'll be speaking to Jack soon. But just now, I want to speak to you" Bobby backed away from the picture. A chair sat nearby. He pulled it over and sat down. He spoke to the picture like Jackie stood before him. "I promise you. You and Jack will forever be proud of your children. I know it sounds stupid that I saw your ghosts last night but I'll do what you want. I'll make sure they never forget you". 

Bobby then rose from the seat, returned it to it's place. He went forward and kissed the canvas. "Goodbye Jackie. For now". 

He then turned off the light, and left the room.