Chapter Eighteen

24th November 1963

2am

Bobby's house

It was midnight. Bobby however couldn't sleep. He rolled over before he heard a familiar voice. "Bobby". It whispered. He sat up and looked around. "Bobby" it repeated. He looked around. "Who's there?" He panicked. He then saw two figures in front of him. 

Before his very eyes, stood the ghosts of Jack and Jackie. They were wearing the clothes they wore when they were shot, except there wasn't a trace of blood to be seen. "Bobby" Jackie smiled. She held out her hand. Bobby crept out of bed, away from the sleeping Ethel and he walked towards them. He stretched out his hand. 

He waited to feel Jackie's skin but that never came. It went right through it. He backed off. "Oh my gosh" he panicked. Jack came forward. "It's ok bro" Jack laughed. Bobby calmed down. "Is it really you?" Bobby asked. They nodded. "It's us" Jackie smiled. Jack went back to his smiling wife and they linked hands. 

Bobby felt tears building up. "You both look so happy" Bobby looked at the couple, who smiled at him before looking at each other. 

"Why did you have to die?" Bobby cried. Jackie came forward. "Bobby listen" Jackie bent down. Bobby looked up. "We never left" Jackie assured him before stepping back to Jack. Bobby was still stuck between whether to believe what he was seeing or whether it was a dream. 

"Does it hurt? Being shot?" Bobby sobbed. He sat down on the trunk at the end of his bed. "It happened so quick, we didn't feel anything" Jack confessed. Bobby breathed. It came into his head that this wasn't a dream, it was real. 

"And Caroline and John..." Bobby started. He was interrupted by Jackie. "Others will tell them about their parents. And why they died innocently". 

"One day they'll understand everything" Jack added. Bobby nodded, his face dripping with tears. "I promise I'll look after them. I'll make sure they never forget what good people you were" Bobby sobbed. They nodded. Slowly Jackie approached her brother in law. "Wake up Bobby" she whispered. 

"Wake up" she continued.

Bobby's house

"Wake up Bobby!" Ethel shook her husband. He moaned. "Bobby!" Ethel shouted. Bobby jumped up. "WHAT!" Bobby jumped. He looked around. "JACK!" He ran around the house looking in every room. "JACKIE!" He yelled. Ethel chased after him. "BOBBY!" Ethel screamed. She grabbed her husband and he stopped running. 

He breathed heavily before falling into the wall and sliding down onto the floor. "Oh God" he sobbed. Ethel got down next to him. "Bobby, you were talking in your sleep. You were talking about Caroline and John and people dying" Ethel exclaimed. Bobby looked at her. He had been crying. "I wasn't talking in my sleep" Bobby shook his head. 

Ethel tried to tell him he was but he eventually got to the point where he screamed: "I WASN'T!". Ethel was shocked. Bobby had never been that way towards her. "Jack and Jackie were at the foot of our bed. They were speaking to me" Bobby sobbed. He hit his hand off his chest. "They were speaking to me!" He yelled. 

Ethel hugged her husband, who was sobbing uncontrollably. "Caroline and John must never forget their parents. Never! NEVER!" Bobby sobbed. This would be a long night and painful time for everyone.