Chapter Eleven

The White House

It was late. Mrs Shaw had tucked the children in bed, before the coffins were due to arrive. The coffins were quietly carried into the private rooms. At Parkland the bullets had been removed and the wounds closed. White House staff changed the clothes of the late First Couple and placed items, most important to them into the coffins.

Downstairs in the East Room, the coffins were carried in and were placed on podiums. Bobby and Teddy, were in presence. In a solemn moment in history, the coffins were draped with an American flag. Bobby and Teddy wept quietly. After the solemn service, the two brothers went into the Green Room for a private talk.

"They're to lie in state until the funeral" Bobby explained to Teddy.

"When is the funeral?" Teddy asked.

"The 25th"

"John's birthday?" Teddy reminded his older brother. Bobby nodded. "There is no other appropriate day. And we can still give him a birthday party here" Bobby said. Teddy finally nodded. He agreed. They discussed Bobby adopting the children and Teddy understood, someone would need to take them in.

Finally, the brothers made a deal. If Bobby was to die, the children's custody would be passed onto Lee, Jackie's sister. Then if she was die, the children's custody was to pass onto Teddy. It was deal.