Chapter Six

Parkland Hospital

The Secret Service had gently placed the bodies on stretchers and had taken them slowly through the corridors of the hospital. When asked if they needed doctors, they asked Clint to explain. "No" Clint frowned, tears in his eyes. "No" he repeated. "I think we can safely say they're gone".

The bodies were in a private room in the mortuary. The Secret Service were overwhelmed. It was the first President and First Lady they had ever lost on the same day. Suddenly there was a knock on the door. Lyndon entered. His eyes were red and baggy, his face, pale like he had seen a ghost. Obviously from all the shock and distress.

"Okay men" Lyndon addressed the agents. "I think we can say, what happened out there was murder. Someone was out there, ready to shoot our leader". Lyndon made it clear and the agents agreed. "I will get on the phone with Cronkite and tell him to announce it in half an hour" Lyndon confirmed his decision.

Clint stood up. He felt anger and pain saying this but he knew he had to. "Mr President..." Clint started. "I think most people will know the President is dead". Lyndon understood. "What about the First Lady?" Paul added. "The public don't know she is dead do they?". Lyndon shook his head. He explained, they knew she was wounded but not that she had been fatally shot.

"I'll tell Cronkite to announce both deaths" Lyndon felt tears building up inside him. He sniffed before wiping away a tear. "The Kennedy children can't know. Get in contact with the White House and make sure all the radios and TVS are turned off. I don't want Caroline and John knowing through a media set" Lyndon gave out orders and they were placed into action. 

 10 minutes later

The moment was brief but Lyndon knew now was his chance to say goodbye to the late First Couple. He pulled back the sheets covering the bodies and literally took two steps back. Their eyes had been closed, probably by agents and they lay there. They looked like they were peacefully sleeping. 

"Well Jack. Jackie" Lyndon bowed his head in respect. "I've contacted Bobby and he's on his way here. We'll be flying back to Washington tonight. I've asked for your coffins to be put in state so the people can come and admire them in full glory. The kids don't know yet, but they will be told. The funeral I hope to have it replicated to that of Abraham Lincoln. It will be a funeral that no one will forget" Lyndon promised all this, like he was actually talking to them. But in his mind he was. 

He was sobbing, to the bodies that lay in front of him. "I will make sure, you both get the funeral you both deserve!" Lyndon banged his fist against his leg. "I will make sure your coffins will be placed in the private rooms of Air Force One. They're not going in the hold, like pieces of luggage!". Lyndon continued to shout until there was a knock on the door. 

Two stretchers came in with identical coffins on them. The Secret Service had ordered two coffins from one of the most famous and expensive funeral parlours in the whole of Texas. The coffin was called a Britannia coffin. I cost $1400 each, as it was made from the most luxurious material. The bodies were gently lifted into the coffins before being wheeled downstairs to be loaded into the hearses.