Chapter 30

They Say Love Hides Behind Every Corner. I Must Be Walking in Circles

Chapter 30

I stayed rooted in the same spot I had stood at when I was talking to the evil bald man.

After he had left, I stood there, completely and utterly frozen, for at least an hour, until my limbs began trying to writhe of their own accord due to the soreness that came from not moving for a whole hour. It was my body’s very painful way of telling me to snap out of whatever trance the evil bald man’s shocking news had put me in.

I didn’t even think about what he had said. I didn’t think about the possibilities, and I sure as heck didn’t try to make my decision. I just stood there, every part of me being frozen, including my thoughts. It stunned me, because honestly, there’s never a quiet moment in my head. I always have something going on up there; I’m always freaking out over something, however small. It’s what I do. And when I’m not obsessing over something, I’m making random comments in my head that sometimes end up being verbally produced.

Eventually, though, I was suddenly shoved back into reality by my own soreness. I blinked rapidly, trying to adjust to my settings and the dim lighting. The only source of light was Maddie’s small little Toy Story nightlight that she still slept with. She claimed she could get rid of it whenever she pleased, but she just chose to keep it. I claimed I believed her; more like pretended, actually.

Yoga had never really been my thing. Twisting and contorting your body in unearthly and just wrong positions wasn’t really something I considered fun or soothing, but at that moment, I believed that a nice stretching of my sore limbs would actually do me some good. It was a good thing Serena had an athletic body type or this might have been a lot tougher than needed.

After I was content with my stretching, I walked the remaining distance to my sleeping bag and lay down.

I knew that sleep was futile at this point, and if I did manage to sleep somehow, it would be filled with nightmares about what just happened, about what would happen if I made the wrong decision, and what would happen if I made the right decision. Either way, I was convinced I would be miserable in one way or another.

What should I do? This was all so hard. God couldn’t honestly expect a sixteen year old girl to work well under this much pressure. I knew that he had faith in me, but it was just so stressful and difficult.

On one hand, I could choose Forrest: Forrest, who had been the best thing to happen to me in so long. I knew that I would never again find a guy as good as him. Forrest was one of a kind; that was for sure. I mean, how many other guys would put up with me, especially after all this? I will admit that even without all of this recent baggage that came from the body-switch, I’m a tough cookie. I have no self-control, my impulses are wild, I don’t care what people think about me or what they may say and I am energetic and hyper most of the time. To make a long story short, I do what most people don’t, out of fear of rejection: I’m myself in every way. The bad thing about this was that this repelled most guys, except for Forrest. He saw past what people said. He liked me for who I am, craziness included. When would I ever find someone as good as him that would like me for who I am, without trying to change me?

When would I want to? I mean, I wasn’t going to get the luxury of forgetting everything. All of the memories of what we had and my love for Forrest weren’t going to go away. I would remember it all, no matter how much it hurt, and I couldn’t just make myself forget.

Forrest even came around in the end, when he found out about this whole body-switching disaster. Yes, at first, he had a hissy fit and broke my heart, but what matters is that he saw the light. He accepted me the way I was, even though I was in a different body. No one else would do that for me.