Chapter 14

They Say Love Hides Behind Every Corner. I Must Be Walking in Circles

Chapter 14

“I’m sorry!” Jasmine wailed over the phone. “I’m such a bitch! Instead of being happy about it, I was all dumb and mean about it!”

Then, in a cautious voice, she added after a second, “Wait, this is Shay, or Serena, or whatever the hell your name is supposed to be now, right?”

“Yeah,” I said hesitantly. Was she alright?

“Oh, phew!” She laughed. “That’s good. The first time I called, I said pretty much the same thing, but I had the wrong number and the lady got all pissed.”

I laughed. I could imagine that perfectly in my head.

 "Don’t worry it’s me,” I assured her.

“Anyways, I seriously am sorry!” she apologized again. “I was such a turd.”

I laughed. “It’s alright, that doesn’t matter, as long as you believe me.”

“Yeah, I believe you, I promise!” she chirped.

"That’s good, then,” I said happily.

 “Serena!” Liv shouted. “Get your ass down here, you’re gonna be late for school!”

 Wow, THIS is my parental figure? No wonder Matt is so messed up.

“Coming!” I shouted back. “Hey, sorry, Jazz, I gotta go. School. Meet me and Maddie at the mall at three today, though, okay?”

“Okay,” Jasmine agreed.

“Bye,” I said, and then hung up.

I ran out to Matt’s car and he started driving as soon as I got in. “What do you do all morning and day that I don’t see you?”

“Well, you don’t have any classes with me, since I’m a senior, and I’m always in a janitor’s closet with a girl in between classes.”

I grimaced. “TMI.”

He grinned, and I didn’t say anything else the whole ride there.

The day passed pretty fast, but that was because I was anxious to talk to Maddie and Jasmine alone after school. We took Maddie’s car to the mall. I didn’t have practice today, thankfully.

Jasmine was waiting for us at the place we got kicked out of a while back. If the security guard had seen me in my real body, I would’ve been kicked out, most likely.

“Hey, what’s so urgent?” Jasmine asked.

“I dunno,” Maddie said with a shrug. “Shay won’t tell me.”

“What’s going on is that I need help finding Serena,” I said. “I can’t do it alone, and I want out.”

“I would, too, if I were you,” Jasmine said with a frown.

“So did Serena ever appear as me?” I asked.

“Um, right before she disappeared, we only caught a glance of her,” Jasmine said, thinking hard. “We waved, but it looked as if she had somewhere to go. She didn’t even see us.”

“Did you guys think to follow her or something?” I asked.

“Nah, we thought she was, well, you, so we thought you were gonna go see Westley, and we really didn’t feel like seeing him,” Maddie replied.

I snorted. “Can you guess what the only thing I don’t miss about my life is?”

“Westley,” we all answered simultaneously.