Chapter 10

They Say Love Hides Behind Every Corner. I Must Be Walking in Circles.

Chapter 10

I was having trouble opening my eyes. It might have been because I didn’t want to. Two hangovers in one month is total bullshit. But someone kept prodding me in the back, and it was getting on my nerves. Finally, I muttered, “Maddie, gosh darn it, quit it.”

They stopped, except the voice that spoke a second later didn’t belong to Maddie. It was a man’s voice. “Maddie?” they asked, confusion sounding clear in their voice. I still didn’t want to open my eyes. Now it was because I was scared of who was sitting there with me. So, with my eyes still shut tight, I replied, “Yes, Maddie, that’s my best friend.”

“I thought Beth was your best friend.”

Beth? Did I even know a Beth?

I know the saying: curiosity killed the cat. But because I didn’t hear any meowing, I forgot all about the saying. I warily opened my eyes, and sure enough, a guy was sitting besides me. He had curly, dark hair, olive skin, and a goofy grin. “Thank God, you’re awake; I thought we were going to have to spend Christmas Eve with an unconscious family member sitting at the table.”

I sat up, electric running through my spine. What on earth was he talking about? I looked around, and didn’t recognize a single part of my surroundings. I was in a girl’s room. That much was clear. The walls were painted a lilac color, with a white rug in the middle, a white desk, a flat screen in the middle of the room, a white leather couch, and a white with purple flowers bedspread, that I was currently sitting on. I fumbled around, trying to disentangle myself from the covers.

“Whoa, whoa, what are you doing?” he asked.

“Leaving,” I muttered.

“Not in that condition,” he said, stopping me.

“What condition?” I asked angrily.

“You’re still hungover, and whatever it is you came down with, it requires rest,” he said, “the doctor’s orders, not mine.”

“Well screw the doctor then!” I snapped. “I’m going home.”

“What are you talking about?” he asked incredulously. “What, you’re emancipating yourself now, too?”

“Oh, gosh, is this a nightmare?” I asked myself out loud.

The guy thumped me on the head, and I groaned, “Ow! What the hell’d you do that for?”

He shrugged. “Just making sure you were awake.”

I narrowed my eyes, and thumped him back. I then looked up to the ceiling, and said out loud, “God, I’m sorry I got drunk last night, but it was a Girl’s Night Out. And I was weak! And whatever else I did to deserve this, I am thoroughly sorry! Just please let me go home!”

 The guy looked at me oddly. “You know, you’re really starting to scare me.”

He backed up quietly, and left the room. I quickly ran to the window at the side of the room, and opened it. Cool morning air whipped my hair around. I pulled my hair back, and was about to tie it with my Scrunchie, when I realized something. “What the heck?” I muttered. My hair wasn’t this long. I let go of it, and brought a strand forward so that I could see it. It was blond. “Omigod,” I breathed. And then I screamed out loud.

Two people came rushing in. “Serena, what’s wrong?” I turned around, and came face-to-face with a kind-looking middle-aged lady. If it had been under different circumstances, I would’ve felt bad about what I did next, but I didn’t, “Serena?” I asked incredulously. “I’m not Serena! Are you on crack?”