Chapter 20

The group entered the forest after a few minutes. They took different paths in partners. Louis and Harry went together, Zayn and Perrie, then Josh joined Niall and Liam to have some extra protection for the human who resisted on staying behind. All of them kept their eyes around each other and made sure to spot any sort of weird movement in the trees and bushes.

“What if he's going to try and separate us, Liam,” Josh spoke softly. He didn't want to talk loud enough for Isaac to listen in and catch them off guard. “He could be anywhere at this point and since we're split off, he's got more of an advantage. Niall is also extremely vulnerable because Isaac can overpower us both.”

Liam already knew that and continued to walk without care until he noticed a few different werewolves traveling past the many trees. He frowns and grows concerned over who they were until hearing the rustling of trees nearby.

It took him too long to turn because before he knew it, Isaac flashed right by and struck Niall at his stomach.

The human jolted back against the closest tree. He applied pressure to the three, long slashes upon his now exposed stomach. Blood drips fast from the exposed wound and Liam could hear the howl from Isaac who already ran off. Josh didn't say a word before following him in complete frustration. He left the pair alone.

Liam kneels down to Niall and applies more pressure to the mortal wound. His jaw clenched in a fit of anger.

He sighs shakily when seeing Niall's body against the tree. Before long, pellets of tears dripped down his scrunched up face as if he were witnessing his life fade away. His soft choked up noises heightened this sensitivity when kneeling down in front of Niall. His breathing became heavy at the sight of the Irishman slipping away. This couldn't be his end, not yet, right?

“Please don't leave...”

Liam takes in the salty taste of Niall's lips when kneeling down closer to fix this moment. Their lips instantly moved together in slow motions while Liam felt Niall slowly touch his knee, and his heart ached. That small maneuver brought even more pain to the pit of his heart because Niall was lifeless. He was taking in the remaining breaths that Niall had left throughout the tender engagement. He set them free into the strong winds that passed by. He couldn't let this be it, though. He had to do something about this.

Right after pulling away, he saw Niall's eyes become droopy and lazy. Although, in a few moments, he has his werewolf fangs dug into the Irishman's neck. With every bit of energy that he had left, Liam changed Niall right then and there, just like he wanted. This would remove his mortal wound but make him transform as a result.

It takes about a minute until Niall let out a low groan. Liam watched the wounds slowly heal. Each deep wound eventually had faded away. This left Niall to carefully stand up and feel a strange sensation surge through him. He lets out a second groan and looks into Liam's eyes. He wondered what had just happened.

“Why do I feel so weird...” Niall holds his stomach and looks down at it to see the tear but no signs of scarring when noticing blood on himself. He was completely confused at this point.

Liam sighs and cups Niall's face in his hands. He was sniffling from the short moment of sentimentality that he endured only moments ago. “Love, I... I had to make you a werewolf in order to save your life.”

Niall's eyes grew wide. “Y-You had to what-”

“We can't talk about this right now!” He takes Niall's hands and squeezes them gently. “Right now, the two of us need to see if everybody else is okay and deal with Isaac once and for all.”

Niall hums and nods shortly. He began moving a little until he gets stopped by an odd force. Liam turns and frowns. He attempts to move Niall, but he falls flat on his ass instead. He immediately stands up though and notices Niall's eyes change into a bright orange shade.