Chapter 9.

Jack sat on the end of his bed with his phone in his lap, every so often he'd fiddle with his fringe the way he always did when he was waiting. He checked his phone again and groaned when he had no text or call.

Jessy had been ignoring his texts and calls for almost a day now and it was driving him crazy. He had no idea what was going on with her. He stood up and looked at himself in the full lengh mirror, he looked okay, but he had looked better. He grabbed his phone from the bed and tapped out a text;

"I have no idea why youre ignoring me but Alex invited me round for a bit so i'll find a way for us to talk.. love you:("

He sent it and stuck his phone in his pocket and headed for the door. Alex only lived a few minutes away, so it didn't take very long for Jack to walk there.

Out in the street the coldness of the air nipped at Jacks bare arms. He quickened his pace and made a half hearted attempt to sheild his hair from the wind.

Soon enough he approached the Gaskarth household. A big white washed house with a long gravel drive. He quickly ran up the drive to avoid the bitter air and poked his head round the front door.

"Alexanderrrrr!" He called.

"In here!" Alex called back. Jack walked in and shut the front door. He quickly glanced up the stairs to see Jessy sitting at the top, she looked nervous.

"What?" Jack mouthed, but she just shook her head. He thought nothing of it.

"Hey, buddy" Alex said, the tone in his voice made Jack feel uneasy.

"Hey" He grinned timidly.

"How you doing?" Alex asked. Jack nodded.

"I'm good, you?" He replied.

"I've been better"

"What's up?" Jack asked, concerned. Alex cocked his head to one side and carefully studied Jack, did he honestly have no idea?

"Oh, I dunno.." Alex said flatly. "Only that my bestfriend and my sister have been going behind my back!!"

Jacks jaw dropped, he didn't know what to say. Shit. Shit. Shit.

"I-I'm sorry?!" Jack stuttered. Alex shook his head..

"No." He glared at Jack. "I told you both no!" He shouted. Jack paused for a moment before narrowing his eyes.

"Why don't you let the girl have some freedom to make her own choices!?"

"She can make her own choices!"

"Then why is this such a problem?!"

"Because I told you both NO, you both blatenly disobeyed me!"

Jack laughed.

"Alex, you sound like a teacher or something!" Alex ignored his comment

"Didn't have to down as the type to go behind your BESTFRIENDS back."

He snarled. Jack sighed and ran his fingers through his hair, searching for the right words.

"I really like her" He whispered wondering if Jessy was still crouched at the top of the stairs.

"DON'T PULL THAT ON ME!" Alex yelled he was seeing red, there was no way on this earth that Jack really liked Jessy.

"I honestly do!"

Alex shook his head, it's not that he didn't want to believe it, there was just something that told him he shouldn't.

"No" Alex muttered, he had nothing else to say.

"She makes me happy, and I make her happy, can't you see that?" He said loud enough for Jessy to hear and sure enough, she did, she came running down stairs into the lounge. Alex opened his mouth to speak but Jessy got there before him.

"Can't we just talk about this calmly and maturely?" She pleaded. Alex looked away from Jack and over an at Jessy, she was already staring at him, her big green eyes just begging him to listen. He couldn't say no. He sighed.

"Sit" He said pointed at Jack who hadn't yet even thought about sitting down since he'd been here. He sat obidiently, he really needed Alex on his side if he wanted to be with Jessy.

Jessy stood in the middle of the room, did she sit on the couch with Alex or did she sit on the opppsite couch with Jack. She weighed up her options. It seems sad really, but every move was crucial, and Alex knew that she knew it. Everything that happened from now would decide if Jessy and Jack could be together. It was like some kind of shit game show.

She sat next to Jack, Alex needed to know they were serious about this.

They sat there in silence for a while waiting for the first person to speak up. Alex narrowed his eyes at Jessy, then glared at Jack.

"Fine" Alex muttered

"Fine?" Jessy asked

"Do what you want, it's obvious nothing I say is going to stop you.." Jessy studied her brother carefully,.he looked down at his lap like he was going to cry. Jessy went and sat next to him.

"Does it upset you that much, Lex?" She asked gently. As much as Jessy loved Jack she wouldn't be able to bare it if Alex got like this everytime they were together.

"I want you to be happy, nugget"

"He makes me happy"

"Really happy?"

"Really really happy"

Alex pulled her into a hug and whispered into her hair,

"If he upsets you, I swear I'll break his legs."

Jessy pulled out of the hug and beamed at her big brother, then looked at Jack, he was grinning like a fool.

"I think we're on!" Jessy laughed

"I think we are!" Jack replied.

She ran into his open arms and melted into his chest. They were both too busy with their embrace to notice Alex slightly grinning to himself.

He stood up just they pulled away from eachother and looked directly at Jack.

"I'm watching you." He said seriously, Jack nodded. "And please don't kiss in front of me" He grinned.

"Love you, bro!" Jack laughed.

"Shouldn't be saying it to me!" He said as he walked out of the lounge. When he had gone Jack turned to face Jessy, he rested his forehead on hers.

"I love you" He whispered

"I love you too" She replied as Jack wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her in close. He dropped a gentle kiss on her lips and grinned.

"I've been waiting a long long time to be able to call you my girlfriend"