Chapter 2

Chapter 2

"I have something very important to tell you," my brother exclaimed as I devoured the waffles he had made. I tried my best to eat the waffles but they just weren't as good as my father's awesome homemade waffles. Ugh, it hurt, my dad used to make waffles all of the time and they were the only waffles I ever ate, they were just so good and so much better than any restaurant's. But I ate them because I knew my brother got up early just to make them and I knew he was hurting just as much as I was.

"What?" I asked with a mouthful of waffles.

"Your foster family will be taking you today. You're going to love them." He said assuringly with a forced smile. I just looked down at my food, that last part got me. I burst into tears, how could any family be better than mine? He continued and said that the family is very big andthat they live in California. I looked up confused when he said that I already love them. Strange, I don't have any family or friends that have ever mentioned living in California... well, I don't really have any family or friends left anyways.

"Wait, California? That's so far away from you." I answered worriedly as I wiped a few tears away with my sleeve. He has to be joking, this family better be good or he wouldn't send me off to California.

"I know, but it'ill be good for the both of us." He said with a sad smile.

"But how and why? You're all I have." I said sadly.

"Just believe me, you'll love them and you'll be able to have more than just me." He said then took my now empty plate into the kitchen. I just sat there, confused about the whole situation. None of this would have happened if my parents were still here....

2 hours later

My brother and I were sitting on the couch just thinking. I had just finished packing and was ready to leave. I can't wait until I get to California, but I willl miss the east coast. I've always lived on the east coast and being 5 minutes away from Washington, D.C. is cool but the beach is by far my favorite place to be. It will be very different, that's for sure, and I am a little scared, but it's for the better. I'm going to be so far away from Dylan and he's the only living family member left who I still love but that will be kind of good, we both need a little space to find ourselves again.

"Hey Dylan, would you do something very special for me?" I asked him, disturbing the silence. He looked startled but said he would do anything. I grinned widely and told him to go get his laptop.