Chapter 19

"Alright lads, let's get this party started", Grace sighed after revising everything in the venue was perfect.

She lighted a cigarette for herself while resting her back against the wall while looking at the lights all set up. "Three more shows and the first leg of the tour will be over", she mumbled for herself as the chattering of the roadies was making big echoes and somehow it helped her to relax her stiff muscles.

Reid had called that same morning to tell her he'd be joining them around the second show in Inglewood. She was trying to take it easy but her perfectionist side was taking over in that moment.

"Oi, Gracie!", Roger had called her over from the side of the stage as the band was getting on stage for the upcoming soundcheck.

Grace waved from the seat she was sitting on as John had waved at her from there too. Freddie took the microphone just to tell her good morning as she laughed and Brian was the last to wave her hello.

"Good morning", she heard a delicate voice say and she sat straight at the sight of Dominique sitting beside her with a small smile.

"Good morning", Grace said while smiling at the woman that looked at her cigarette with a little bit of disgust. She knew the woman was a bit reluctant when it came to cigarettes so she didn't light up another one when it finished, even though she was craving for another one. "I'm so glad we'll finally be back home soon", Dominique started talking when she realised she might've been a little bit harsh on her reaction at the cigarette.

That fact made Grace sigh, but she masked it down as if she was only tired.

"Yeah, we kind of need some rest", Grace smiled at the French woman and then her eyes were fixated on the stage were Brian was trying his best not to look at both woman.

"These first three months had been hell and I can't even imagine what the next months to come will be", Dominique kept talking and what she said made Grace turn around to face her with a questioning look. What was she talking about? "Oh, Roger didn't tell you?"

"Tell me what?", she asked genuinely intrigued. She was hoping it wasn't what she was thinking. It would ruin everything. Mostly her.

The happy smile that Dominique gave her made her heart jump in fear. But it wasn't because she was jealous or angry at the fact she was about to learn. She was afraid because it meant the end of something that had just started. It was the end of her borderless feelings that had taken the best of her.

"I'm pregnant, sweetie!", she said as if it was the most obvious thing to learn. Grace blinked multiple times before standing up just to embrace Dominique in a hug. It might've seen awkward, but she felt like it. And she felt happy when the woman returned the hug and couldn't hear the racing heartbeats that were creating a lump on her throat.

"Congratulations, Dom!", she had yelped and fortunately she was giving her back to the stage so she couldn't see the expression on the band's faces.

"Rog and I ended things, but this might be a second chance for us—"

But she wasn't listening anymore.

The way Brian had glared Roger was intense. John had simply made a small grimace before looking down to his bass and start tuning it as Freddie had his hands in his hips. The drummer had an unreadable expression on his face.

"Gracie, wait!", Roger was following her to her hotel room while the after party was being held in a club nearby. She was definitely not crying, but running away from him.

"I don't want to talk right now", she said with a lump on her throat while turning the corner as to find her room with her shaky hands.

"Please, let's just talk now", he pleaded but she wasn't giving in.

She turned around to find his baby blue eyes looking sadly at her. He didn't had to be sad. There was a baby on the way. His baby. His and Dominique's. Grace looked the other way when he took a step closer. She couldn't look him in the eye right now.

Her thoughts weren't clear. She was fine at first because he had ended things with her, was going to leave things crystal clear between them and then maybe they'd have a chance to try something. But now, it seemed impossible. She didn't wanted to barge into a relationship at that state. She didn't wanted to be a wicked woman taking a father away. She needed time. She needed to think. Whether her feelings for Roger were enough for her to hold on.

"I can't do this— not now at least", she confessed and Roger nodded as she took a step closer to him and she extended her hands as to touch his face. "You can't either do this now... she needs you and you have to be the man that protects her. You have to be responsible enough to take a decision from now on... and whatever that is, I'll understand— but, you also have to give me a chance to think further if we can keep going with this"

He took her hands off his face and held them both while looking at her. "I fancy you, Grace. A lot. A fucking lot. I'm not going to lie, and it kills me that I've put you in this position...", he then proceeded to kiss her forehead. "It'll be okay, as long as you stay by my side"

"I want to do the right things, Roger", she said while the tears threatened to come out and he then hugged her tightly over his chest.

"Me too, Gracie... me too"

The next day, she was sitting on a chair somewhere in the venue. Mostly hiding from everyone as she was doing her job quietly. She was sure Eliza had heard from John whatever happened or what the situation was. But she only wanted to be alone for now.

She knew that wasn't going to be her case when Brian approached her with a can of coke and then sat beside her on the empty chair.

"How are you?", he asked quietly. Grace opened the can and drank from it before answering.

"Good... and you?", she simply said before checking her paperclip again.

"Worried sick... for you", he proceeded before eyeing what she was writing down. It was something related to work. "Listen... I..."

"Stop there, Brian", she lifted a hand for him to stop his rant or speech. "I'm okay, do you see me crying or pouting? I'm telling ya, I'm okay"

"But you're all on your own now, instead of hanging around with any of us or Eliza", he tried to explain himself.

"Being human requires a little anesthesia, but not because I'm hurting for this... I have my thoughts and past, you know? Sometimes we just need to push people away for a while so we can find the reason why we keep doing what we're doing... not necessarily because of Roger...", she explained herself and only then she realised Freddie was standing beside her with his arms crossed.

"We wanted you to know that we appreciate you and that, we have to be neutral but you have to understand that we know Dom from a while ago and that sometimes we'll seem mean but it's because we can't really choose you over her or her over you...", Freddie started explaining himself but once again, Grace stopped him while lifting her hand.

"It's okay, really"

Roger was watching the three of them talking from afar. Eliza and John were lively talking with Dominique before her eyes were set on her boyfriend looking intensely at the three people somewhere hidden. She knew they were there.

"Is Grace okay?", Dominique interrupted Eliza and the blonde girl furrowed her brows.

"Yeah, it's just that she kind of...", she didn't knew how to explain and pleaded John for help.

"The tour has been tiring and she's feeling kind of homesick", he simply said before changing the topic much to Eliza's relief as Roger looked the other way when Grace looked at him with a grimace.

Suddenly, Dominique wasn't feeling as relieved as she thought she was in the beginning.