Chapter 25.

As Ryder and I made our way back home, I couldn't help the terror that fought its way into my stomach. We didn't know if our plan would work. People could die. I could die. Ryder could die. Em and the twins could die! Innocent packmates . . . gone!

[What are you thinking about?] A voice suddenly popped in my head. I turned to see Ryder smirking at the road as we continued to drive.

[I can never get use to this] I replied through my mind. I heard him chuckle.

"It'll get easier, ya know," He regarded.

I stifled a scoff.

"I hope so," I retorted.

I began to feel sleepy, so I lightly closed my eyes.

I see you

A tone of much deeper resinance came through my mind link. I snapped my eyes open to see Ryder nonchalantly turning the steering wheel.

My panic began to build. What was that?

"Did you say something?" I asked Ryder. He shook his head no.

I forced my eyes to close, but I couldn't get any sort of sleep on this car ride home. That voice felt familiar. But I don't think it was anyone from the pack. Unknowingly, I realized I was now warily glancing in every direction around us.

I felt myself calm down when I realized we entered the private entrance into Ryder's house. I sighed in relief, but there was still that panicy feeling. I turned around, getting that feeling of being watched. I gulped.

I got out of the car, following Ryder up the steps into his house. We quietly walked in, to see Em on the couch, the twins on her side. Em's knees were pulled up to her chest, and her eyes were wide and focused on the ground.

"Emily?" Ryder asked, sensing her unease from all the way over here. Immediately, I ran to the living room, and sat down on the couch beside Leo.

"Em, what's wrong?" I asked in a rush.

"He . . they're . . " She said nothing else.

Theo lightly grabbed my arm, pulling me and Ryder away while his twin sat there, comforting Em. We followed Theo into the kitchen.

"What the hell is happening?" Ryder growled.

Theo rubbed his forehead.

"Em found her mate," He said.

"Shouldn't she be happy?" I asked in confusion. From what I've seen, mates make each other happy and they're apparantly a huge deal.

"That's not it. While you two were out, a rogue spy entered our territory while Em was patrolling. They got a few scratches on each other before they realized what they meant to each other," He said slowly.

I felt my heart sink for Em. Her mate was among the pack of rogues that wanted to capture me.

"I . ." I couldn't finish what I was going to say. I felt my heart throb for my best friend.

"And what of the rogue?" Ryder asked, wrapping and arm around me and pulling me into his hip.

"He ran off after they shared a moment," he said, whilst putting air quotes up.

"He couldn't kill her, and she couldn't kill him," I muttered. I felt my body yearn to comfort my friend.

"And she hasn't been ok for a while," Theo continued.

"They want to make sure we've accepted their deal," Ryder growled in annoyance.

"But we have!" I reply, crossing my arms.