Chapter 18

I'm sorry, this will not be a very well written chapter.

I've sorta been going through a lot at school . . 

Writing is normally something I do to escape the tedious "joys" (Sarcasm) of life. But now I find it hard to even want to write anymore.

I apologize. I don't want your pity, I just want you all to know I'm not avoiding this book on purpose.

Detention went by pretty fast. I just spent my time day dreaming. Day dreaming pretty much about Ryder. I imagined different scenarios in my head of me and him. Of what would have happened if I never ran into him. If I never found out about his secret. If I wasn't kidnapped. If I wasn't even found.

Then I wondered about what the future held. Would I still be with him? It made me incredibly nervous to think about. After an hour passed, I gathered my things and quickly walked out of the class. I was followed by at least 7 other trouble kids as I waltzed out in relief.

As I walked out of the class, I took a step into the hallway that no one seemed to have gone down. I couldn't help but feel an eerie presence as my footsteps echoed aloud. Before I knew it, it got very silent, and I could hear thefaint flutter of my heart. 

I sighed as I found my long red locker and quickly dialed my number. The clicking was louder than usual seeing as it was too quiet in this hallway. I opened up my locker, and quickly jumped back as adrenaline pumped through my body.

Something fell from my locker and it took everything in my power to hold the bile rising from my throat. There was what was left of a small white rabbit. Only, there was no body, just a head. The white long ears were flumped at its sides, and blood smothered the white coat. I covered my mouth with my hand, but to no avail, I couldn't hold it in. My stomach was an indoor rollercoaster.

I fell to my knees, and held myself up with my hands as I threw up everything I'd eaten this morning. 

"Zara!" someone screeched as footsteps appeared. I looked back to see a familiar face.

"Leo? Or are you the other one?" I croaked as my vision blurred with tears.

"Ahh, so you do remember. And you were right, I'm Leo. My brother is at Em's place. Are you ok?" He asked as he kneeled down next to me. My eyes warily scanned the blood on the floor that led to the rabbit. Without thinking, my stomach didn't feel right, and I leaned over to throw up once more.

"Luna, er  . . I mean . . ."

"I . . know what you and Ryder are. .  It's ok." I panted as I took a deep breath.

"I just called my brother and Em to come over. Ryder is in a pack meeting, and he doesn't like being disturbed during them. When did you see this?" Leo asked as his gentle brown eyes lingered on mine with worry.

"I just . ." I panted as I crouched on my knees, " I just came from detention and this . . rabbit head fell out of my locker . . and I just . . " I huffed as I took a deep breath to calm myself down. Suddenly, more footsteps approached.

"That took you guys forever!" Leo scowled as someone who looked just like him came running in with a girl at his side. I recognized them Theo and Em.

"We were busy jackass! We came as soon as possible!" Em said as the two came to a halt.

"Ok, whatever. We just need to figure out who did this and why." Theo interjected as he reached for my arm, and helped me up. I smiled at him, although it came out weakly.

"I think I have an idea on who." Em said as she shook her black head of hair.

"Ok, I am really thankful for you guys coming to my rescue and all, but the smell of that rabbit is making me feel sick." I said as I pinched the bridge of my nose.

"You can  smell that?" Theo . . or . . Leo? Whatever, one of them asked. I stared at them with confusion.

"Um yeah, it's disgusting." I told them.

"That's strange. I'll take Zara home, you two idiots clean this up and let Alpha Ryder know what happened." Em announced as she lightly placed her hand on my shoulder. I nodded, grateful to flee from the scene.

We quickly left the high school within seconds. Em dragged me to a black jeep with no doors, and forced me to get in. Quickly, she turned on the ignition and swiftly left the parking lot.

"Zara, how could you smell that rabbit head? It was stale and you have to have crazy senses in order to smell that. You're a human, so how the hell could you smell it?" She asked as we came to a stop light. I gulped.

"I don't know." I told her.

"Hm . . . ok what did it smell like?" She questioned.

"Um . . bad?" I retorted in annoyance.

"No shit. Be specific." She said with a snort. I rolled my eyes.

"Ok . . . um . . rancid, dull, rotted. Kind of . . . foresty and musky. With rotted tree trunk or tar." I said as I recalled the pungent smell.

Em's eyes widened uncontrollably. "What?" I questioned. She shook her head.

"Nothing." And with that, we drove to Ryder's.