Chapter 34.

Hey guys I'm so sorry I know it's been forever

I shut my mouth, panic seizing my body. Daniel hovered over me with one arm over my back, much to my dismay, as we cowered behind the bar. 

After the screams subsided and no one was in the diner, I heard hard heavy steps, with something plastic dragging on the ground.

"I think you're going to want to come out soon," The voice called out. I looked up at Daniel, who was staring across from us. Confused, I followed his gaze. There was a little girl hiding under a table booth, tears streaming sideways down her face. Her blonde hair was in clear disarray as she struggled to stay quiet. 

My heart went out to the little girl who was alone and hiding from a possible murderer. 

"Hm, alright then," And with those words, a loud gunshot bounced off the walls, the thunderous noise rocking my ears. The girl let out a wild, terrified scream and started to sob and cover her ears.

"I wonder if the Caine's are so cruel that even the life of a little human girl is of no value," The man called out, his boots appearing in front of the table. He bent down, and reached for the girl. She screamed and cried, struggling to get away from him. I pushed Daniel off me, reaching for the girl, but he held me back. I tried to punch him, even elbow him in the ribs, but my efforts were wasted. 

"No!" he whispered in my ear. I glared at him and prepared to launch myself out again.

[We cannot help her. If we reveal ourselves, then everything is lost and it will have all been for nothing!] I recognized the voice as my wolf. I froze, feeling guilt pool in my stomach. I leaned my face against the ground, and looked out from beneath the bar. The man was grasping the little girls hair as she cried and cried. I cringed and felt myself wanting to help the little girl. It wasn't fair. None of it was.

"Either come out and save the girl, or I'll put a bullet right through her pretty little head."

I faltered, and glanced at Daniel. He glared at me, as if telling me no. But it wasn't right. That little girl could not die. "I'm not going to let her die for us," I whispered. Daniel growled in his throat. I began to get up, but Daniel pushed me against the ground. I was about to fight him off, but instead, he stood up, now in plain sight of the man.

"Ah, so it's true. Daniel Caine, you're a fool," The man spat. 

"Let the girl go," he replied. I stared up at him, staying hidden. "Why should I? You call yourself a legend, but we all know you've run your course." 

Again, I crouched my face on the ground to see what was happening. The girl was still crying in his arms as he held a huge gun to his side. I held my breath. Was this maybe someone from the NWC?

"That child is of no use to you or value, Marcus."

Whoa, did Daniel know this man? Who was he? Were they friends? Enemies?

"Oh I know that," Marcus I replied. "Do you?" Daniel retorted. I heard a loud growl.

"You know what is going to happen Daniel. We all know what will happen, so move and let's make this easier for the both of us," Marcus said. These two must have had some sort of history, I could hear it in their voices. 

"Since I know what could happen, I can avoid it!" Daniel shouted, sounding frustrated. "No you can't!" Marcus argued.  What was it? What was going to happen? There was more Daniel wasn't telling me? Still?!

"Just because it happened to you, doesn't mean it will happen to me!" Daniel shouted, and then there was a loud growl. Daniel was grabbed over the counter, and then there was a loud slam. I couldn't help it anymore. I had to help them! I stood up, against my wolf and my father's wishes.