Chapter 17

Chapter 17

            “Ryan!” I shouted as he walked out of the room. I had hurt him beyond repair this time and I knew it was going to take a lot of talking to get him to forgive me.  “Ryan!” I shouted again as I ran after him.

            I caught up to him just as he was about to walk up the stairs. Ryan turned to me and gave me the saddest look I think I have ever seen on a person. I could tell he was close to tears. His eyes were filled to the brim with water and his bottom lip was just barley quivering as he tried to hold the tears back. “Ryan, I’m sorry.” I whispered.

            I reached out to put my hand on his shoulder but he brushed it off. “Sorry….. You’re sorry Elle.” he said while pausing and attempting to rein in his emotions, Ryan was so close to tears it hurt me to even look at him. “No, I’m sorry. I’m sorry that you’re too dumb to even realize when someone likes you. Damn it Elle I have spent our entire friendship dropping hints that I liked you… No wait I’ve been dropping hints that I love you…..” Ryan turned away from me but still didn’t walk away. “I just don’t understand how we can be best friends since we were in diapers and the minute that some other boy walks in your life you drop me and go straight for him.” He said between sobs.

            I knew then that he had let the tears fall and that was the reason he had turned away from me. I reached my arms out and wrapped them around him. “Ryan I’m so…” I said before he pulled out of my embrace and started walking up the stairs.

            “Save it Elle, I don’t want to here it anymore. I’m sick of hearing it.” He said and then he was gone.

            I leaned up against the wall and slid down it with my face in my hands the tears flowing freely now. What had I done, I had lost the most important person to me in my life. Ryan had been my everything and even though I didn’t like him the way he liked me I didn’t ever want to lose him.

            I don’t know how long I had been crying but I had ended up lying down and just letting the tears fall to the white carpet. The only logical thing that passed my mind was I hope that Adrian’s parents don’t get mad at me for ruining their carpet. I had been lying on the floor for quite a while when Adrian lifted my head and laid it in his lap. He started stroking his fingers through my long frizzy brown hair in a small attempt to soothe me.

            The thing was though that the only thing that could soothe me right now was having Ryan back in my life. I know he had only walked out an hour ago but this hurt like nothing has ever hurt before. I didn’t even know if I could face school tomorrow. Seeing the look on his face that I knew he would give me as soon as we saw each other tomorrow. I couldn’t deal with it.

            The disappointment that I had seen in his face tonight had been enough to kill me and leave me broken.

            About after two hours I finally ran out of tears. My nose was so stuffed up that I couldn’t even breathe through it. My throat felt scratchy and soar from the sobbing. I sat up and gave Adrian a small sad smile, knowing full and well that my eyes were red and puffy from crying for two hours.

            Adrian took my head in his hand and bent it down so he could plant a kiss on my forehead. “Elle, I’m so sorry you had to go through that. I don’t know who let him in but it was probably the butler. He knows both you and Ryan by name and I’m sure he thought it would be okay to just send him down to the theatre. You have no idea how bad I feel for ruining your friendship with Ryan.” Adrian whispered against my forehead.