Boss

The next day after Karina got back home, Elle told her that there was a man at the pouring rain and that he had been there for a while.

"Have you ever seen him before?" Karina asked the little girl as they walked to the spring.

"No, I have never seen before."

"Elle, what did I tell you about inviting strangers into the house?"

"We didn't, mama. I swear; no one actually saw how he got in. When we were playing 'tag' that's when we saw him. But no one went to talk to him."

"Are you telling the truth?"

"Are you doubting me, mama? Tell me, when have I ever lied to you?" Else squinted her eyes trying to look and sound serious.

"Never. Now tell you what, go back to the house and stay there. If I don't come back within half an hour, something bad must have happened to me. You call for help and come."

"Why don't I just stay here with you?"

"Who is going to call for help when the stranger attacks us both?"

"Yes, you are right. I'll see you in half an hour. Be careful..." Elle recited hat her mother tells her every morning as she drops she and her brother to school. Karina just laughed then kissed her daughter on the forehead. Elle ran back to the house.

Karina made her way to the spring. The man was standing a few feet from the water facing the water. Karina was able to see the man from where she was. But nothing like who he was and if he looked familiar clicked her mind.

"Excuse me..." Karina said, loud enough for the man to hear her from where she was standing.

"Hello Karina..." He said with a mischievous smile on his face after he had turned to look at her.

"Alessandro?" She called but it came out as a whisper.

For a moment there, Karina froze. She couldn't move or say anything and mostly she couldn't believe that the man who had walked out on her six year ago, was standing in front of her, all in good health and handsome as ever. She had so many things to say to him and so many questions to ask but she didn't know where to start or what to say first.

"No. Its Resvaldo." He smiled.

"Ooh...pardon me; no one told me you had changed your name." She looked away to avoid him seeing the tears that were about to betray her.

"It's okay. By the way, I like what you did to the place. It's beautiful."

"Why are you here? What are you doing? Why are you back after all these years?"

"Don't worry. I didn't come back for you." Ouch!

"I know that very well, for if you were, you wouldn't have walked out on me six years ago." She spat on him.

"I didn't come here so that we can do a flash back of what happened before."

"Then why are you here?"

"I came to introduce myself."

"I don't understand."

"I would like you to meet Resvaldo Lambard, the boss of the Young Billionaire." He gave out his hand for a shake.

"Nice to finally know that its you. I have been looking forward to meeting you."

But before he could add something, Karina heard her daughter calling her.

"What are you doing here, Elle? I thought I told you to go home."

"I did but I was worried about you. So, I told the others that if I don't come back they should know that something bad has happened to us."

"Ooh Elle darling..." Karina hugged her daughter.

"Is she your daughter?" He asked.

"Yes, she is. Elle, please introduce yourself."

"I am ElleSharlene Montalban, pleased to meet you Mr..." she gave out her hand for a shake.

"Mr. Resvaldo Lambard, at your service. Pleasure is all mine, princess." He kissed her hand. And as always, Elle smiled after being called a princess. Karina sent her back again to the house and told her not to worry because Alessandro was just an lad friend.

"So, whom did you sleep with after I left."

"My husband." Karina replied ironically.

"How sure are you that she is your husband's daughter?"

"Wait, are you trying to say that I'm a whore, Resvaldo?"

"I didn't, you just did. I pity your late husband for he didn't know what he married."

"You know what, I think I'm done here. I can't listen to you anymore." Karina turned to leave but he caught her elbow and pulled her back.

"No, you are going to listen to me. Why did you have to break my heart like that? Why, among all men did you have to sleep with him?"

"I don't have to explain anything to you." She freed herself from his grip.

"Darn it, Karina!" He yelled. "I loved you; God knows how much I treasured you more than life itself. But you had to-"

Before he could finish,Karina started throwing up. Alessandro wanted to leave but he could, she passed out. Worried about what could be wrong with her, Alessandro carried her back home. That moment reminded him of the past, when they were still young, happy and in love. Even after all those years of being away, he couldn't figure out why she had decided to sleep with Lurich. But that was not the matter at hand; she was unconscious and he had no idea what was wrong with her.

Immediately after he got home, he called their family doctor.

"How is mama doing?" Elle and her brother asked. "Is she going to die?"

"No, of course not." The doctor laughed. "In fact, I think I have good news."

"What is it?" They asked excitedly. The tension in the air was finally wearing off.

"You guys are going to have a sibling."

"Really?"

"Yes. Now if you will excuse me, I'll be on my way out." The doctor announced and left. After making sure that everything was in good shape and hands, Alessandro left. He had someone else to surprise.