silent fears

Disclaimer I do not own DC Comics or any if the characters. I don't own any of this.

This involves Tim injured, and a very upset Damian. Damian is a little OC.

Bruce pov

It was a fathers worst fear to learn their child was in the hospital. To learn their child who was supposed to be on a school field trip was not in critical condition, but that is exactly what happened.

Tim and Damian were both on a field trip. Everyone at Gotham Academy was. They were going to the history museum. Since Tim is Damians older brother Damian could stay with Tim instead of his class as many younger kids do. They were on the same bus, and for the most part the trip went smoothly. That is until they were on their way home.

Damian had said he had fallen asleep on Tims shoulder. He told us he did not know what happened. Only that there was a lot of noise that awoke him, and something jerking him awake. When he woke up the bus was flipped on its side, and Damian and Tim were both on the oppisite side of the bus. Tim was bleeding from his head and would not wake up. Damian told us that when they were carried out they took Tim to a separate ambulance despite Damians protests to stay with his brother.

Damian had been cleared at the hospital, and now waited with his father and other brothers on news of Tim. They were in a smaller private waiting room due to the press in the main waiting room and outside the hospital.

The family sat in silence with Damian sitting on Bruce's lap. Dick sat with his face in his hands while Jason stood slumped against the wall. They had been in the small room for over two hours with no word. Damian did not cry but he was close to crying. Then family did not know what to do to calm their youngest member. None of them had ever seen him cry, upset sure, but him crying just didn't happen.

After the third hour they had gotten Damian to fall asleep. Bruce rubbing his back absentmindly.

"Tim you better pull through," Jason said who was now sitting at Dicks feet. "You can't leave us. You need to pull through."

Dick leaned down to wrap his arms around Jason. "He will. He will pull through. He has to," Dick whispered to him.

They fell into silence for the better half of an hour. Damian had begun to stir. Looking up with eyes that had never looked more innocent he smiled. A small child like smile. In this sleepy state it was easy for him to forget what was happening, but then he quickly remembered and sat up. After he looked around he fell against his father.

"Has there been any update, Father?" Damian asked.

"Not yet, but I'm sure we'll know something soon," Bruce replied.

"Its going to be bad isn't it? Tims gone isn't he?" Damian whimpered. At this noise Jason and dick came to kneel in front of the boy.

"Dami, what makes you think that?" Dick asked.

"It's been three hours and no news on his condition. It has to be bad," Damian replied hiding his face against his fathers chest.

"Listen kid, Tim is strong he'll pull through. Tim got hurt really bad, and when we go see him he will look bad. He'll be ok," Jason said running has hand through the child's hair.

"Mr. Wayne," a voice said from the doorway. There a doctor stood.

Bruce stood up still holding Damian before handing him off to Jason. He then went to speak with the doctor followed by his sons.

"The surgery went well. We were able to repair the damage, but he'll need a lot of recovery time. You may see him now," The doctor said before leading them to a room in a different part of the hospital.

The family came to sit by Tims bedside. Jason had handed Damian off to Dick, but after a while Tim began to stir. This caused Damian to try to get on the bed. Dick held him tighter.

"Hold still, Babybat," Jason said. "Just wait a minute."

"I'm tired of waiting. I want to see Tim. I need him to tell me he's ok," Damian said pouting like the eight year old he is.

"Except he's not ok, Damian. Tim is not ok, but he will be ok. You just need to be patient," Jason said placing a hand on the little boys shoulder.

"You do not understand. Its my fault. Tim would not be hurt if not for me. Do you understand? Its my fault. He was trying to protect me and when the bus flipped he kept me from getting hurt to bad. He saved me, and now he's hurt. It is my fault?" Damian said close to tears again.

"Damian," Tim uttered.

The room fell silent. Everyone stared at Tim who was still out, but slowly waking up. Again he said his little brothers name. This time his eyelids fluttered. Slowly his eyes opened.

"Tim," Bruce said coming into Tims view. "Tim its ok. Your going to be ok. There was an accident, and your in the hospital. Are you in any pain?"

"Where's Damian? Where is he? Tell me he's ok, Bruce? He has to be ok," Tim said frantically. "I was supposed to protect him on that trip. Please tell me my little brothers ok."

"Tim look at me," Bruce said getting Tim to look at him wide eyed. "Damian is ok. He's right here." Dick handed Damian to Bruce so Tim could see him. "See he's ok."

"Damian," Tim said as tears fell from his eyes once he saw the cast on his right arm and bruse going from his left eye to his jawbone. "Oh, Damin I am so sorry."

Tim pulled Damian down on the bed where the younger boy curled up next to him. He stayed quiet as he fell asleep next to his injured older boy.

"Its good to see you will be ok, Timmy," Dick said sitting with Jason on the opposite side of the bed.

Jason ran his hands through Tims hair, "you scared us for a while there, Babybird." He said.

"How many died?" Tim asked.

"Tim do not do this to yourself. None of this is your fault. You could not of prevented this. You protected Damian, but you took the blows for him. For that I am proud of you. I wish none of this happened, but none of it is your fault," Bruce died.

"Still how many died?" Tim asked again.

"Three people. The man in the semi truck that hit the bus you were on. He hit a wall and the truck exploded. He was drunk and kept driving. The other two were teachers. No students were killed," Jason said.

Tim only nodded. He then feel asleep again with his arms around Damian. Both sleeping peacefullyside by side.