Wedding Day

~Chapter One~

(City of Harland Harbor 1791)

The year had brought more than enough success financially and the economy was at its best for Harland Harbor. Many farmers had prospered with their lands giving the market an opportunity to have some of the finest crop ever picked and gathered. Life progressed and it was a marry time for many. Given that the increasing wealth in Harland Harbor brought a great relief over many that awaited the awful winter it was a rotten day for Scarlett Worthington. No amount of money nor bribe could rob her of the heart ache she endured.

The invitees filled the small little chapel waiting patiently for the groom and bride to arrive. The atmosphere filled with a hot sticky heat as dust ascended with every passerby on horseback. Meanwhile, a few miles away Scarlett sat inside her chamber room starring at her sadden reflection. Her heart shaped lips frowned while her dismay brown eyes let a tear slip without her consent. She was well aware that her family preoccupied the room as well. Mercifully the delicate texture of her veil covered the tear she had shed. The night before, Scarlett had wept with deep sorrow spilling in heaps of tears her rejection to marry Sir Heart's eldest son.

Her betrothal to Dathan was an arranged marriage since birth and heaven forgive her thoughts but she loathed the day upon her. She clutched her gloved slender hands into fists and inhaled deeply the air reeking of expensive exotic perfumes. Her eyes trailed to her younger sisters who chatted up a storm not a few feet away from her. Larisa, the second eldest, sat dressed in a well-fitted blooming blue dress. Her cheeks blushed as she boasted in laughter to whatever it was her sister Mia, the third eldest spoke. Larisa held golden locks that caressed the soft delicate texture of her neck. It radiated with such beauty under the candle light, giving soft complexion to her skin.

Mia muttered under her breath again and Larisa covered a gloved hand over her mouth as she playfully elbowed her. Mia snickered and tossed a brown shiny lock of hair over her shoulder. She held features much like her elder sister, Scarlett. Her hair lay in ringlets of brown hair, shiny as the twinkling stars at night. Mia held a petite powdered nose and blushing velvet cheeks that harmonized with her green satin dress. Nichole, the smallest of the four, sat quietly in her seat, eyes staring down in displeasure at her high-buttoned white boots. Dirty blond hair, a round face that would take its shape once she was of age and large blue eyes was her description. However, she was not surprised to see Nichole so displeased with the fashion of her dress, or shoes for that matter.

After turning thirteen, Nichole had been specific about the dresses she wore in public. Looks mattered to her and Scarlett could understand why she felt that way. Her mother had worked hard in making each one, including her own.

Scarlett could see them each, their smiles extending from ear to ear, but alas she could not find herself to approach them. Swiftly she forced her gaze to look away, she did not want them to notice her sadness nor her discomfort. She let out a shaky breath and held it as she heard deep thudding footsteps approach her side.

"They wait for you," the familiar voice of her mother suddenly spoke.

She nearly jumped out of her seat as she nodded and closed her eyes tightly. Scarlett kept telling herself that it was for the best, that in time she would learn to love the man she was about to wed. The realistic side of her disagreed and made her fear the worst about her new husband. Quietly standing she smoothed out her long expensive dress and took her mother's hand. Lady Worthington smiled kindly at Scarlett, her lenient features showing how time had slowly disheveled her beauty.

"Take deep breaths dear." She whispered.

Scarlett did as she was told allowing herself to grow numb as she was led to the slaughter where her life would change forever. She knew well Dathan disliked her with more passion than the devil did God. It was not but a few days ago they had personally met for the first time and all he had shown was repulsion. She began to question her beauty then seeing that he held features carved by the angels themselves.