Chapter 23

Jared's P.O.V

My vision was tainted red, adrenaline a dull buzz and the foul smell of burning vampire flesh went up my nostrils, making me want to gag. We had emerged triumphant. But we had a casualty. I watched helplessly as Dr Cullen examined Jacob, who was injured on the ground.

We were all crowded around him, worried and flinching every time Jacob winced in pain. Our mind link was filled with anguished voices, afraid for our fallen brother, yelling at Leah for trying to bite off more than she could chew. If not for her, Jacob would not have leapt to her rescue.

"He needs to be in a stable environment, so I can have a good look at him," the doctor diagnosed.

'Quil, Embry, take him to his dad's place,' Sam instructed.

"I'm alright," Jacob said feebly. Yeah that was believable. Quil and Embry stepped forward and gently hoisted Jacob on their shoulders and started jogging off.

I was worried for Jacob but that didn't stop my happiness of finally having the battle being over. We were safe for now, Kim was safe. The brawny Cullen and Jasper had started a sort of bonfire, where all the fallen new borns were being burned. However, the safety of the battle hadn't fully hit us. There was still one parasite left. An angelic teenage girl. She cowered into herself as the Cullens spoke softly to her.

Why were they sparing her? I mean, sure she looked harmless and it was hard to believe that she was a part of the blood thirsty newborn crowd. It left me in awe, to see the Cullen's could show mercy. It seemed like we were finding out something new everyday about our vampiric neighbors.

"Oh no, the Voltiri, they're coming," said the pixie like Cullen softly, her eyes glazed.

Wait what?

We were distracted when Bella and Edward emerged from the forest, followed by Seth. Good. They were all OK.

'The Volturi?' Questioned Sam.

"They're coming!" Edward shouted his eyes darting from the doctor to the future seeing Cullen.

"Yes they are. Probably to see the outcome of this battle and to see the mess being cleared. I suggest your pack to retreat into the forest Sam," said the doctor.

We had heard of the Voltiri before and they certainly weren't a force to be reckoned with.

'Move out!' Ordered Sam.

We all followed him swiftly, tired and worn out.

We huddled together deep in the forest listening to the vampires exchange conversation. These Volturi blood suckers were a huge bunch of creeps. I shuddered when I heard the Volturi kill the girl newborn. Even though this was happening two miles away from me, it affected me. They killed their own kind. What was I expecting?

We went back to the Cullen's when we heard the Volturi leave. The Cullen's looked somber. They wanted that girl newborn to have lived.

'The doctor needs to come and see Jacob. Our people have no idea how to treat vampire inflicted injuries. We can't take him to the hospital, they'll ask questions and realize he's not human,' Sam directed his thoughts to the mind reading Cullen.

"Carlisle Sam wishes for you to examine Jacob in La push," said Edward.

"Are you sure? I'd be on your territory," asked Carlisle looking at us. This doctor seemed so harmless, I wouldn't trust any other Cullen but the doctor with his gentle exterior was hard not to trust.

Sam nodded.

"OK, lead the way. Alice, Rosalie could you hurry home and get me my equipment please?"

"Sure," they both said in unison and rushed off.

I was glad to be returning to La Push and leaving all the madness and bloodshed behind me. I would take a shower as soon as I got home, then check up on Jacob and Kim.

She was probably worried. I had kissed her. Would things be weird now? We were running through the forest, we passed a beautiful giant Willow tree which was hard not to notice and admire.

A horrible image jarred Paul's mind, he was ahead with Sam, soon that image went through all our heads. A girl, lying crippled on the forest floor. We approached the girl, who was writhing and shouting. That smell. Familiar. No. This couldn't be happening. Leah turned her over, with her snout and there was Kim's face.

It was contorted in pain and I was going into shock. Why? Why was this happening. Kim had never done anything to anyone. Blood was trickling down her neck.

'She's been bitten,' I had no idea who had said that, everything was surreal. I leaned down beside her. She looked to be in major pain. Why was my chest tearing up?

Why was the person I cared most about turning into the monster I loathed? I couldn't do this. She was becoming a parasite. I could never look at her properly again. She would never be the same Kim, she would just be an abomination who craved suffering. Grief as I had never known before struck me. It struck me hard.

I couldn't help it. I'm updating in a day. People have been voting for this book and that makes me more eager to update so I appreciate all the votes ily :D