Curious Even

Stiles wasn’t sure about the plan at all. He spent half the night trying to come up with a clever idea that would get them into that safe and also keep them from getting murdered or worse; expelled. Then Stiles spent the rest of the night cursing himself for not kissing Derek and the other half of that time imagining what would have happen if he had kissed Derek. Some of the imaginary scenarios ended good and Stiles would feel butterflies pounding at his stomach. Then there were others that ended badly. He would get short of breath feeling a panic attack on the surface. Needless to say he didn’t get much sleep and his plan was a little all over the place. Scott and Isaac both sat and listened with eyebrows raised as Stiles told them his plan.

“Alright. So, one of us gets in trouble.” Stiles paused thinking for a moment and continued again. “Yeah, so probably Scott since he’s the one who’s going to crack the safe open. Then we need to get the cameras off and him out of there so…” He knew there was a good idea in this tangled mess he was laying out. “Okay. Scott gets sent to his office and then a few minutes into the meeting we will cause a distraction that demands Deucalion to leave his office. At that time you shut the door and crack that thing open and also get the camera off.” Isaac raised his hand and then spoke.

“Okay. So that’s actually an okay plan but we don’t know where the camera is and wouldn’t that waste time? And also get more footage of him snooping around?”

“You’re right! Um…” Stiles started thinking again. There had to be a way. He had made an almost perfect plan. Scott and Isaac also tried to think of a way.

The door swung open and Lydia bolted in walking at a brisk pace and Alison followed close behind.

“What’s wrong with you princess?” Isaac asked with a bit of a cocky grin. Lydia stopped and glared at the curly haired boy.

“If you must know.” She punctuated every word “Todays my 16th birthday and I. I just didn’t expect to be here. No girl dreams of being in a rehab camp when it’s their sweet 16.” She flopped down on one of the beds. “I’m supposed to be dressing up, getting a car, having a party with my friends. I’m not even going to get a cake.” Just then a light went off in Stiles head and he had the rest of the plan.

“Oh yes you will Lydia! I’m going to talk to Deucalion. Don’t worry you’ll have a sweet 16.” Lydia perked up at hearing Stiles promise.

“Really!?”

“I swear!” Stiles said as he stood in the middle of the room. Lydia got up from the bed and practically skipped to Stiles kissing him on the cheek.

“You’re really sweet Stiles. Thank you.” She smiled and walked away and Alison followed her into the girls room. Stiles felt a pang of guilt. He was leading her on again and hated it but he needed into that office and this was his only chance. He glanced over seeing Derek who looked a little disappointed. Stiles was now even more confused. He shook away the thoughts and got back to the task at hand. He looked back at his friends who were both giving him “the Look”.

“What?”  Stiles asked.

Scott spoke first.

“Dude! You kind of just gave her a green light again dude.”

“I didn’t mean too.”

“What do you mean you didn’t mean to?” Isaac interrupted and then did his best Stiles impression. “I’ll throw you a party Lydia. I’ll get you that cake and after you blow out the candles we can go on a late night stroll and then go make out behind the bathroom houses.”

“I do not sound like that!” Stiles warned. Isaac and Scott both laughed at the joke. “Anyway I’m doing this so I can scout out where the hidden camera is. That way when Scott goes in there he can trip up the camera without actually looking like he vandalized it on purpose.”

“That’s actually bloody brilliant!” Scott said as he got up and pulled off his sleeping shirt to change into his clothes for the day.

“Alright. I’m going to get dressed and stop by to see dear ol’ Deucalion before class.”

“Good luck, bro.” Isaac offered.

“Thanks.”

Stiles gripped his books a little tighter than he should be as he walked into the office. To his surprise Deucalion was not there. He cautiously walked into the room and took a few more steps stopping in the middle of the office. He was careful not to move to suddenly. He stood there waiting and would occasionally look around the room scanning for a camera.

“What are you doing?” Stiles jumped at the voice and turned around seeing Deucalion in the doorway.

“I’m sorry. I was waiting for... I wanted to ask if it would be okay if we made Lydia a cake and maybe had a little celebration? It’s her 16th birthday and you know how teenage girls can get about their sweet 16.” Stiles knew he was talking a little too fast but he was nervous.

“That’s fine. Just have Boyd let you into the kitchen and he’ll help you set up something small. Nothing goes past 10:00.”

“Yes sir. Thank you.” Stiles walked to the door where Deucalion still stood. As he got closer the man still didn’t move. Stiles felt trapped and his hands began to sweat.

“How are you liking it here Stiles?”

“Fine. I’m actually starting to like it here.” he offered a nervous grin and took a step back hoping to make room for Deucalion to un block the door.

“I had a feeling you would do good here. I can tell you're a pretty clever kid.” He stepped further into the room and Stiles stepped back again. “Curious even. Sometimes though these two things could get you into some big trouble and we don’t want any trouble do we Mr. Stilinski.” He said this as his pointer finger lifted Stiles chin up to look the man in the face. That’s when he saw it; the camera. Now all he had to do was escape.

“No. We don’t.” He swallowed and tried to keep his breathing calm. “C- Can I go to class now sir?” Deucalion looked at the boy for a second longer and moved his finger stepping to the side. Stiles bolted for the door and before he walked out Deucalion said one last thing.

“Glad we could chat.”

Through their academic classes Stiles kept himself completely distracted in his school work to get rid of the eerie feeling that had followed him out of that office. In math he gave Lydia the thumbs up and she was nothing but smiles the rest of the day. He informed the guys at lunch that he had found the camera and with a few slight adjustments they had a plan and the day it would take place. They decided to wait a couple days to let things cool down, Deucalion seemed to know something.

It was after lunch and time for group therapy. Stiles hated these days. He may have been making friendships and doing really well in school but therapy he just couldn’t get into. He wasn’t ready to talk about things and decided he never would be.