Words Found Their Way Into the World

Stiles ran. He could have stood there. He could have made sure Matt was alright but he didn’t. He didn’t care. He just kept running. He ran straight for Deatons office. His heart pounded hard. His legs felt like jello but he kept going. As soon as he saw the door he froze. What was he going to do? What would he say? He paced there. His palms sweating.

“Your parents are in there right?” Stiles jumped at the voice and spun around. Alison stood there holding a broom. Her brown waves tied up on her head.

“What are you doing?”

“Not that you need to know but I got busted smoking a cigarette so now I have to clean the house. What are you doing?”

“I’m not sure.”

“If your going to tell them about what happened to you they have to report it. Just make sure you're ready for all that.”

“What?” Stiles was scared and questioning. “How did you- Who said-”

“No one told me. I can see it. It’s easy to spot when you know what it’s like.” It was the softest and kindest he had ever seen Alison. “Good luck.” She quickly left and disappeared into the house. He wasn’t alone, he knew that. Some how what she said didn’t scare him anymore; it empowered him. He grabbed the door knob and pushed the office door open. Deaton stopped mid sentence. His father and Wendy spun around seeing him.

“What happened?” His dad jumped up.

“Are you okay sweet heart? What happened to your face? Where’s Matt?” Wendy grabbed a tissue and dabbed it under Stiles eye. He had a small scrape. He flinched when she touched it. He hadn’t realized how sore he actually was until he was being fussed over.

“He’s a liar!” Matt now stood in the door. Wendy gasped and ran to her son who held his hand over his forehead. Bright red blood covered his skin.

“What are you talking about? What’s going on Stiles?” His dad looked at him with his eyebrow raised. He could see the hurt and confusion on his father’s face and it scared him. Stiles hadn’t realized his dad could also see the pain his son was holding onto. “Talk to me kid. Please?”

“I-” Stiles looked around the room. He could see Wendy babying Matt as he tried to push her off. Deaton stood at his desk with the phone in his hand. He was calling an ambulance for Matt. There was a lot of blood. He looked back at his dad. “I’m sorry. I didn’t want any of this to happen…”

“We were wrestling around and we got to hyped up. It was an accident” Matt spoke as he held a rag against his head.

“Is that true?” Mr. Stilinski asked. Matt looked at Stiles almost pleading with his eyes.

“He’s just trying to get you guys mad at me so the attention is off of him. You know that’s what he does! He blames everyone else!” Matt couldn’t keep quiet. He was nervous and trying everything to make Stiles stay quiet.

“I think we should let Stiles talk. An EMT is on the way to look at Matt’s head so we have a few minutes.” Deaton spoke from his chair. Stiles could feel all eyes on him.

“What’s going on Stiles. You can talk to me. What’s going on?” His dad was frightened. He was always good at keeping it together but this was different. He was watching his son fall apart. The person Stiles had become the last few months was not his son; not the one he remembered. He hoped this place would help. Maybe Stiles would finally start talking to him again. He held onto that hope. Stiles tried again.

“Well, when Wendy-”

“There you go again. You’re just jealous! You think we’re stealing your dad away but were not.”

“That’s not it!” They were all startled by the volume of Stiles voice and he kept going. “You tell them Matt. Tell them why I ran away all those times. Why I had to get high all those nights.” Matt was stunned and the attention was now on him.

“What’s he talking about?” Wendy looked at her child. “What’s going on?”

“I have no idea. He’s losing it.”

Stiles was afraid to look at his dad. With every ounce of courage he could summon he looked into his fathers eyes and it didn’t even feel like he could speak but he did. The words found their way into the world.

“After Wendy and Matt moved in. He- he would come into my room at night. He made me do stuff with him.” Stiles could feel the knot tighten in his throat and his eyes were misty fogging his vision.

“Stuff? I don’t know what-” His dad seemed confused and maybe even afraid.

“He touched me and made me touch him and he, he made me have sex with him.” The room felt loud. No one said a word but Stiles could hear the roaring in his ears. The panic rose in him.

“What!? That’s bull shit!” Matt chimed in. Wendy held her hand against his chest trying to calm him.

“Get him out of here!” The sheriff yelled at his fiance. Wendy was startled and speechless. Without another word she left pushing Matt along with her. Stiles watched his father as he watched Wendy and Matt exit. As soon as he turned back to his son Stiles felt the panic again.

“I’m not making it up dad. I didn’t want to tell you. I didn’t want to ruin things. You were so happy. Wendy makes you happy. I just didn’t know what to do!”

“Stiles. Stiles!” Stiles stopped as his dad looked at him. His eyes were sad. Nothing about him seemed tough at that moment. He grabbed Stiles and pulled him into his chest.

“I’m so sorry kid.” He held him tightly not letting go. “I should have known.”

“You believe me?”

“I’ll always believe you. I wish I would have seen it sooner.”

“Please don’t blame yourself.” He could feel the waver in his fathers breathing. “ I’m the one that didn’t say anything.”

“It’s going to be okay now. Don’t you worry about me.” He pulled his son from his chest and looked back at him. “I promise. You’re safe now. Don’t worry about anything okay. You did the right thing.” He pulled his son back into his arms and held him even tighter. They both cried.