Orthodox

Stiles never realized how calming the sound of the woods could be, and in the quiet he laid there, just listening. He felt a small peace that night, one he hadn’t felt in a very long time. He could have stayed there and fallen asleep but he needed to leave. He could hear the boys in the room snoring and the door was so close, he needed to go. Carefully he got up and crept past the beds of the others and reached the front door of the cabin. Holding his breath he cautiously pushed the door open praying the sound would go undetected. Once Stiles had the door open enough to slip through he took one last look back and disappeared into the night gracefully closing the door behind him. He knew it was best to stick to the shadows and then cut through the woods until he could find the nearest town. He made it to the bathroom shelter and stopped making sure that no one would see as he ran the rest of the way into the trees. Stiles began looking around and things still seemed to be quiet. He took a giant breath and bolted making it unnoticed. He kept running trying to leave Point Break as far behind as possible.

“You can run all you want Stiles but I’ll still find you.”

Stiles tried to shake the voice in his head. He couldn’t lose it now, not so close to escaping.

“You think you can just go away and never come back? I can’t let you go that easily.”

“Leave me alone! Get out of my head!” Stiles yelled at no one. He kept going but the tears began to sting his eyes and in the dark he was quick to lose his footing and fall scraping his knee and stinging his hands. Instead of getting back up he crumbled under the pain and panic and began to cry hysterically. “It’s not fair, I just want to be left alone. Leave me alone!” After a few moments Stiles felt a hand on his shoulder and screamed pushing himself away. “Don’t touch me! You said you’d leave me alone, you promised!”

“I’m not going to hurt you. My names Derek, I’m in your group.” He held his hands up hoping to show Stiles he was no threat. Stiles sat up hugging his legs calming his sobs. “What are you doing out here? If Boyd or Deucalion caught you, you would have been kicked out.”

“I can’t go home. I’ll run away! I wasn't my fault.” Derek crouched down trying to move closer to Stiles.

“Why don’t you want to go home?” His eyes and his entire face seemed to soften from the first time Stiles had seen him.

“I’m just not going! Okay!?” Stiles sniffed and wiped at his face putting his walls back up.

“We better get back to camp before someone wakes up.” Derek offered a hand and stood helping Stiles off the ground. “I’ll get you something for your knee when we get back to the cabin, just say you fell on your way to the bathroom if anyone asks.”  Stiles brushed off his hands on his pant legs and followed.

“Thanks.” Derek nodded and his hard face took over again. He led the way out of the woods as they walked in silence. What was Derek’s story? Why was he here? No one was that hard with such a soft face that hadn’t faced their own demons.

As they approached the camp a light had come on in the main house and Derek was quick to grab Stiles and hide behind the nearest cabin. A second later the front door opened and Deucalion stepped out onto the front porch. He was wearing a nice suit and stood as if he was growing impatient of waiting.

“What’s he doing?” Stiles whispered behind Derek. Derek held up his finger to his lips and turned his attention back on the house. A minute later headlights appeared and a black car pulled up. Two men with suitcases exited the car and Deucalion greeted them with a firm handshake.  

“I trust you had a pleasant trip?”

“It was fine, thank you.” The first man that exited the car had said.

“Let’s skip the pleasantries. Do you have the money?” The second taller man asked.

“Do you have the orthodox?” The first man nodded again and tilted the case he was holding on one arm and opened it with his free hand. Deucalion looked inside and a wicked smile seemed to grace his face “Perfect.” It was killing Stiles, what the hell were they talking about? “Let’s go inside and talk business gentleman.” Then they all disappeared inside.

“What the hell was that about?” Stiles asked a now walking Derek.

“I don’t know and I don’t care. I’ll be 18 next year and out of this place, so they can keep their secrets.”

“Secrets?” Stiles stopped walking. Derek felt him stop and turned back.

“That’s not what I meant kid. Let’s just go back to bed. We have a hike tomorrow, trust me, you will be thankful for the sleep.” he turned back and finished leading the way back into the cabin.

It was way too early when Scott had woken Stiles. The sun was just coming over the tops of the trees and Stiles just wanted to sleep. He rolled out of bed and went to the showers and finished getting ready. When he got back to the cabin there was a hiking bag sitting on his bed. He walked to it with caution and saw a note pinned at the top. He grabbed it and unfolded the creased paper and began to read.

Hey kid, I know you don’t understand but know that I love you. As soon as you are ready and better I want you home. I hope you like the camping gear and I also packed your favorite pillow. hang in there. Love, Dad.

Stiles didn’t know how he should react to his fathers gift, so instead of dealing with his feelings, he shoved the note into the trash and put on his new bag meeting up with the rest of his group outside. He took a spot next to Scott who greeted him with a large smile and pat on the back. Stiles managed a small smile back and looked forward at Boyd who now stood in front of the group with his hands in the air to silence them.

“Alright Horizon I hope you all got some sleep because I’m warning you now it’s going to be a long day. Make sure you have your gear because we won't be back until tomorrow. Any questions?”

“You have the food right?” Isaac spoke up from behind Scott. Scott grinned and shook his head at his friends question. It was easy to tell that the simple things in life made Isaac happy, Stiles appreciated that.

“Is that seriously all you think about?” Derek spoke from the back of the group. He had a small pack slung across his shoulder and wore a leather jacket even in the heat of the morning.

Boyd interrupted before another word could be said “Yes Isaac, no need to worry, there is plenty of food. Now let’s get started!” With that he turned and began to walk away, the group followed and they made their way to the mouth of the woods.