Other Peoples Problems

Stiles had cried himself to sleep that night. He didn’t want to and had cursed himself every tear he shed but he couldn’t stop it. Derek was quiet as he climbed into the tent not wanting to disturb Stiles.

“I’m sorry.” the words hung in the air between the two boys; both unaware of what to do with it. Then Derek finally spoke.

“I know.” with that he laid on his blanket and with one last glance at Stiles he rolled over and welcomed sleep, Stiles continued to cry. 

The birds were louder in the woods as they burst to life in the just rising sun. Stiles grumbled as he rolled over unable to sleep any longer to the sounds of nature. He wiped the dried tears from his face and the sweat that was starting to form on his face as the tent began to heat up in the morning rays. Derek was gone and Stiles was quick to exit the staleness of the tent.

The campfire was dead but small embers continued to glow from beneath the ashes. There was no sign of the others as he made his way to find the perfect spot for a morning leak. As soon as he finished Scott appeared behind him.

“Morning sunshine!” Stiles jumped; his heart ready to explode.

“Jesus! Are you trying to kill me?” he laughed a little allowing himself to breath.

“Actually I was going on a morning jog. Care to join? I need to stay in shape for lacrosse, who knows, maybe I’ll get out of here in time for next season.” He smiled and softly ran in place.

“You play? So do I!”

“All the more reason to join me! Isaac runs with me sometimes but it’s too early for him.”

“Let’s do it.” without even changing Stiles was quick to start running and who knows; maybe he would just keep running.

They had ran about a mile before Scott had stopped. He kneeled down resting his hands and his knees and Stiles did the same before standing up and stretching his arms over his head. The morning air was crisp and harsh as their lungs filled up with air.

“I’m sorry I kind of flipped out last night, I seem to be doing that latley, even when I don’t mean to.” Stiles eased his achy body downward and finally sat on the hard ground, he hadn’t ran like that in months.

“Don’t sweat it, trust me when I say that was nothing compared to other freak outs. Things can get pretty violent around her with the new kids sometimes.” Scott now took a seat stretching out his legs and continued talking “So, I thought about it last night and I think I know how we can get into the house and look for that Ortho thing. Interested?” He smiled sheepishly.

“Is Darth Vader Luke’s father?” Scott raised an eyebrow, confused by the question.

“Star wars. Luke I am Your Father?”

“I’ve never seen it.”

“What!? Come on man it’s one of the greatest film series of ever!” Scott laughed at how frantic Stiles was about Star Wars. He stood from the ground and brushed off his shorts.

“I’m going to take that as a yes and I’m sorry I haven’t seen it. Maybe when we get out of this place you can show them to me?” He smiled and offered a hand helping Stiles from the ground.

“Deal.” as soon as he was on his feet he began to run and Scott was quickly by his side.

The sun was finally in full view as they approached the camp ground. The fire had been sparked up again and Boyd was preparing to start breakfast. Allison was no where in site but Lydia sat by herself furthest from the fire trying to avoid the smoke that threatened to cling to her clothes and make them smell. Derek and Isaac were also missing.

“Have a good run?” Boyd asked from the food, not looking up.

“It was great!” Scott said as he grabbed a canteen and chugged some water. he tossed it at Stiles who finished the rest. They caught their breath in the quiet of the late morning as the air filed with the sounds of the woods.

“NOOOOO!” It surrounded them so fast that Stiles heart felt like it could explode. What the hell was that? “NO DAD, PLEASE!” the voice now sounded familiar but before he could register another though Scott was quick to push past him and run to his tent. Curious he followed and standing at the open mouth of the tent he saw Isaac thrashing around in his sleeping bag as Scott tried to wake him and hold him still. “NO! DON'T” he was hysterical, even in his sleep tears rolled down his cheeks.

“ISAAC! WAKE UP!” Finally his eyes shot open and he whimpered as Scott pulled him into his chest and gently held him. “Shhh, it’s okay, it was a bad dream. You’re safe, I got you.” Isaac nodded and buried his face into Scotts chest. He slowly rocked him and ran his fingers through his matted curls. Scott kissed Isaacs head and continued to hold him.

Stiles turned away and walked back to the fire, that was for Scott and Isaac, that was their moment. Stiles wished he had someone who could wake him from his nightmares but wishes were pointless.

“He’s the only one who can do that.” Stiles looked up seeing Lydia had also been watching from her seat by the tree. Stiles decided to join her and take his mind off things. “He has bad nightmares about his dad sometimes.”

“Scott seems to really like him.” Stiles wasn’t sure what he meant by that. Lydia looked around as if to see if anyone was listening.

“Scott’s a great guy, he’d do anything for someone. He would even give up who he is to make sure someone else is taken care of.”

“I’m not sure what you mean.” Stiles head hurt every time he was around Lydia, she confused him. She smiled and it was warm.

“I guess I study people to much. It’s easier to take care of others and help them with their problems than to face your own.” Stiles really let the words sink in and Lydia leaned in closer, was she going to kiss him? Before anything could happen they were interrupted by Boyd who announced the food was ready.

When they finally got back to Point Break Stiles was ready to collapse. It had been another long day of hiking and listening to Lydia shoot off random facts about the environment around them. After dumping off their belongings they hit the showers and then headed to the kitchen for dinner. Stiles was almost done with his cheeseburger when Scott and Allison joined him and Isaac at the picnic table. After devouring their food scott elbowed Stiles and looked at Isaac gesturing his head to the left. Scott was quick to jump up, place a quick kiss on Allison’s cheek, and lead the way back to the cabin. He stuck his head inside making sure they were alone.

“It’s all clear.” He smiled as he turned back and waved them inside. As soon as the screen door closed behind them the smile got larger “Who wants to break into Deucalion’s house?”