Everywhere and Nowhere

Stiles couldn’t stop thinking about it. It was right there in front of them; a large safe filled with endless possibilities. He didn’t understand why it bothered him so much; why he needed to know. Part of him knew it was a distraction; a way out of his own head and away from his own problems. He could hear the other boys snoring in the blackness of the room. After they had managed to slip out of the house undetected and Isaac had an emergency therapy session with Deaton they all returned to their rooms and soon after fell fast asleep, with the exception of Stiles.

He then heard something shifting and his heart beat began to beat at a faster pace. He quickly pulled his blanket tightly around him making sure every inch of himself was hidden.

“It’s not real. You’re safe here.” he told himself trying to calm down. Then he heard footsteps across the wooden floor. Stiles felt a lump in his throat threatening to bring tears or make him scream out with no results. Stiles pulled the blanket slowly from his face and saw Derek pulling the door open and stepping into the moonlight. He finally caught his breath beginning to relax again. Once his heart beat slowed to a steady pace Stiles decided to follow. It was cool that night and Stiles shivered stepping out of the cabin. He looked out at the property and quickly spotted Derek.

Derek was standing alone under a tree looking up at the sky. Stiles didn’t hesitate as he walked over to join him.

“I never realized how many stars you could actually see out here.” Stiles offered as they stood side by side looking up into the night.

“I never took the time to notice them until I got here.”

They both stayed quiet for a few more minutes. Then Stiles broke the silence again.

“Where were you before here?” Stiles could feel Derek glance at him but he didn’t look back. Derek shifted on his feet sticking his hands in his pockets.

“Everywhere and nowhere.” He stopped himself and found a seat a few steps further away on a few large stones. Stiles finally turned and decided to follow. “My mom moved us around a lot, following jobs and dating losers in the process. When I was 10 she died and we were sent to foster care.” Stiles took a seat next to him and watched as Derek talked at the sky. “When I was 13 I finally decided to run away. I’m not proud of the things I did and the people I hurt and at 16 when I thought there was no hope for me, I got arrested. Now I’m here.” Stiles could see the threat of tears in Derek’s eyes. He didn’t share much but Stiles could tell he had plenty of his own demons. “What brought you here? Surely it wasn’t the home cooking or the nightlife.” Derek tried to laugh a little at his own joke, drawing the attention away from himself and his story. Stiles moved from the rock and sat on the grass.

“My dad and his girlfriend had me kidnapped by this big guy and he drove me here.” Derek raised an eyebrow unamused by the obvious answer.

“I knew that. What was your downfall? Drugs? Stealing? Robbery?”

Stiles felt that was a safe enough question to answer. Most of the kids in this place were there for drug abuse it was a normal thing around Point Break. “Mostly drugs. It started with smoking and then when that stopped working I started doing anything really. What ever messed me up so I couldn’t feel anything.”

“What didn’t you want to feel?” Stiles pulled his legs into his chest. It was starting to get to personal and he didn’t let people in.

“I don’t know, afraid I guess. I didn’t care when I was high. I could do whatever I wanted. I ditched class, broke into abandoned house to get high and wreck stuff. I went to raves. It helped me get through the night.” Stiles was now staring into the trees and into the darkness. His legs still pressed close to him. Derek moved from the rocks and sat in the grass next to Stiles.

“You don’t have to talk about it. I was just curios about you.” Stiles looked away from the trees and over at Derek. Derek didn’t look the same as before he looked softer some how. The gruff exterior and the stone cold gaze he held were gone and with sad eyes he looked at Stiles and truly saw him. Derek reached out slowly on the grass and brushed Stiles fingers with his own. Stiles blushed a little at the gesture. He wasn’t sure what it was but something stirred inside of him and he was afraid but excited at the same time. A part of Stiles always knew he liked boys but he was always too afraid and ashamed to truly act on his feelings. He couldn’t like Derek but yet here he was wanting to lean in closer. They both looked from one another and back up at the stars. They were beautiful laying out blanketing the sky in tiny sparkles. Derek moved in closer and kept inching until he could feel Stiles body heat against him. Stiles didn’t move, he enjoyed the warmth. Finally Derek had managed to fully wrap his arm around Stiles and they sat there not moving, still watching the sky.

-

Stiles didn’t want to get up when Boyd walked through the room yelling it was time to rise and shine and to go collect their laundry. With a few moments of groaning he finally rolled off his mattress onto his feet and slid on his shoes. He glanced over seeing that Derek was already gone. Stiles wanted to think that last night was a dream but it wasn’t. Maybe it was the moon light or lack of sleep but Stiles never felt more connected than he did that night and barely any words were shared. They sat together on the grass for over an hour before they finally decided to head back to bed. Stiles grabbed his toothbrush and towel to hit the showers after picking up his clothes. As he approached the house he saw Scott just ahead of him.

“Scott!” Stiles broke into a jog and quickly caught up. Scott offered a smile and a pat on the back.

“What’s up dude?”

“Just getting my laundry. I can’t believe yesterday.”

“I know! Isaac was my hero!”

“He did put on a great show. If they ever decide to put on a production he should be the lead.” Scott smiled and shook his head.

“True. I think I may know a way to break into the safe.”

“No way!” Stiles yelled almost a little too loud.

“Keep it down.” Scott put his hand out as if he could catch the words to quiet them. “I remember reading a book from the library a few months ago and it had a chapter about safes. I’ll get it after classes today.”

“Perfect!” The boys approached the main house and walked inside. The line was short as most of the students had already retrieved their clothes. Stiles and Scott were close to the front when Stiles spotted Deucalion passing back the bags. He could instantly feel his palms sweating as they approached.

“Ah! Mr. Stilinski and Mr. McCall.” He turned and grabbed the bags and turned back around holding them out.The boys reached forward and grabbed the bags but Deucalion held on leaning in closer.

“You boys find anything exciting last night?” both of their hearts dropped. They were lost for words. He let go and smiled at both of them. “Next!” He looked at them one last time the smile not leaving. They both took their bags and quickly left the room and without hesitation made it out of the house.

“What the hell was that!? Do you think he knows?” Stiles could feel his heart on the verge of exploding.

“I have no idea! Maybe he had cameras or something?”

“Why wouldn’t he have kicked us out then? That’s like breaking and entering, we could get expelled for that right?” Scott nodded and finally slowed down realizing how fast he had been walking.

“The guys up to something. He could have easily kicked our sorry butts to the curb but he didn’t. It’s like he’s messing with us.”

Stiles agreed. Deucalion seemed to calm for someone who discovered two of the delinquents in his care broke into his home office.

“It’s like he’s playing some kind of game.”

“Well I’ve got news for him. Game on.” Scott started walking again with a determined look on his face. Stiles followed afraid of what his friend may be getting them into.