Distractions

They sat in silence for the next few moments gathering their thoughts. It was Isaac who finally broke the silence. 

“I don’t think I can do this. What if I mess up?” He ran his fingers through his hair and nervously tapped on his knee.

“You’re not going to mess up, we just need the distraction to last for a few minutes so we can sneak away. Besides no one can resist your sad puppy eyes.” Scott smiled and Isaac blushed. He wasn’t lying, Isaac had the kind of eyes that made you weak in the knees and the kind of eyes you would tell all your secrets too.

“Where will we even look? I don’t know this place.” That’s what was bothering Stiles. Getting in should be easy enough but actually finding the Orthodox was a challenge all on it’s own. They had no idea what they were even looking for.

“He has an office and a bedroom. It’s a two story house, if you don’t count the attic and the basement. I say the best place to look would be the office and his room, if we don’t find it there, we will keep looking.” Scott was pumped and the adrenaline was starting to kick in and his energy was contagious fueling Stiles and Isaac as well. “ It’s laundry night so as soon as we take our clothes in is when we’ll do it.” He clapped his hands together and fell on his mattress.

“Do what?” It was Allison followed by Lydia. The boys quickly bussied themselves collecting their clothes and putting them in their laundry bags.

“Nothing, just talking about laundry. I think Boyd is going to put me on Laundry in the morning.” He got up and met Allison in the middle of the room. Lydia moved past them and took a seat on Stiles bed.

“Good, I like the smell of dryer sheets on you. It makes you more cuddly.” She smiled and stole a quick kiss, careful not to get caught. Lydia watched Stiles as he tried to make more laundry appear. He had only been there a few days, so he didn’t have much. 

“You should probably get your stuff.” Stiles said feeling exposed as Lydia watched him.

“Come on Lyd, you can flirt later.” Allison smiled as she grabbed her best friend by the arm and pulled her away. Stiles felt a weight lift from his shoulders and relaxed more as he pulled the string at the top of the bag sealing it off. He anxiously sat at the foot of the bed awaiting their next move.

Stiles was surprised by how many kids actually lived here, at least 30 kids lived here and they were all lining up with their laundry to carry it inside of the house. Stiles palms were sweating as he held onto his laundry bag tighter than he should. He ran the plan over in his head again and again. It was easy, all he had to do was drop his bag into the container that was marked Horizon and then make himself disappear into a large group of kids. Issac would provide the distraction that would allow him and Scott to slip away into the house.

Scott turned and grinned at his friends and they both smiled back even though Isaac was scared out of his mind. It didn’t matter though, he was going to be their distraction, anything to help Scott. Stiles twisted the bag in his hands as they got closer to the dumping site.

“Are you sure this is a good idea?” Stiles was quick to objecting but realized it wasn’t the doubts of Isaac but of Derek who stood behind him, brooding as usual.  

“What are you talking about?” Stiles asked doing his best to stay calm.

“I’m not sure what you and the two nimrods are up to but I can guarantee it’s a bad idea.” Stiles turned around and took a step back surprised at how close he was to Derek. Stiles swallowed hard and wasn’t sure what to say next.

“Come on Stiles!” It was Scott standing in the doorway waving for him to come on. Stiles looked back at Derek one more time and began to walk away but he felt a hand on his arm stopping him.

“Just be careful.”  without even turning back Stiles gave a nod and continued forward.

The house was crowded in the main entrance way as the slow moving line made it’s way to the room in the back where the dirty laundry was kept. Slowly Stiles, Isaac and Scott finally made their way through the house and as soon as students were all around them Scott nudge Isaac giving him the okay.

“Don’t touch me!” Stiles jumped back a little at the volume of Isaacs voice. Was he yelling at Scott? He then saw that Isaac was facing a guy around their age named Dan, he was from the half moon group. Dan was also shocked by the sudden outburst throwing his hands up and doing his best to step away in the crowded room.

“I didn’t mean to, I’m sorry!” Stiles felt bad for the kid as Isaac began to scream throwing himself on the ground. Stiles wanted to watch more but Scott was pulling at his sleeve, it was time to go. Scott was quick to throw their laundry bags in the right pile and they quickly made it upstairs.

The office was large with a wooden desk stretched across the middle of the room. A fireplace burned slowly behind it and large pictures and a deers head hung on the walls.

“This guy is classic movie villain material.” Scott laughed and shook his head and quickly bolted for the desk and began pulling drawers open.

“So what’s this thing look like any way?” Scott asked as he rummaged through the desk. Stiles walked around the room slowly looking at the pictures and stuffed head on the wall.

“I didn’t see it, but it was in a suitcase.” Stiles stopped on a large picture and ran his hand along the large golden frame, it was cool under his fingers. He wrapped them slowly around the frame. “Hey do you think this could be like the Hardy Boys and there’s a hidden room behind this frame?” Scott looked up from the candy he had found.

“Or you could just pull the painting off the wall and crush yourself.” Scott ate another skittle. Stiles thought about it for a moment and even though he knew he could regret this forever he slowly began to pull on the frame and it began to swing to the right moving toward him. Stiles took a few steps back and the corners of his mouth turned up.

“Or I could have just found a really big safe.” Scott put the candy back in the drawer and closed it as fast as he could and stopped next to Stiles.

“It’s huge!” the safe was almost as large as the picture that took up at least 5 ft of the wall and a large number dial was placed in the middle.

“Know how to crack a safe?” Stiles asked raising his eyebrow. Scott looked back over and the expression on his face told Stiles he had no clue.