Together In The Loneliness

The flames flickered and danced as they grew higher. The moon was coming out and the shade of the world was a dark blue in moments it would turn to black. All the students sat around the warmth laughing, cooking food, talking and even playing games further away from fire. Stiles stood a little off to the side of his friends drinking his second cup of Dr. Pepper. Scott noticed the way Stiles looked like he didn’t want to be there and broke away from the conversation joining Stiles.

“Hey. Having fun?” Stiles shrugged still drinking out of his cup. “Lydia’s over there sitting by Ashley. I noticed her look this way a few times. You should talk to her man.”  Stiles finally pulled the cup away finishing the rest of his drink.

“I don’t know. I embarrassed myself earlier and she probably hates me.”

“She told Alison she still really likes you.”

Stiles wished he had more of that delicious carbonated beverage to keep him from talking but it was too far away and too close to where Lydia sat. “I don’t know.”

“Dude, Lydia is right there. Go get her man. You deserve a little fun.” Isaac said as he joined them. Stiles didn’t want to be a freak, he wanted his friends to like him, he wanted to be normal. Without another word he pushed himself forward and began to walk in Lydia’s direction, he could do it. Stiles stopped beside the two talking girls and feeling his presence they looked up.

“Could I talk to you Lydia? Alone?” She looked at Ashley and the girls both exchanged grins. Then she looked back up with a longing stare and then stood up and took his hand.

“Follow me. I know the perfect place.” They slipped away from the large crowd and soon the roar of voices began to die down as they walked farther away. They ended up at their cabin and slipped inside. The screen door closed a little louder than expected and made Stiles jump. Lydia laughed a little still holding his hand. They walked through the boy’s part of the cabin and entered the girls room.

There were only 4 beds and the two beds on the right wall were made up and the others sat abandoned. Lydia sat on her light pink comforter and Stiles followed.

“I’m sorry I was so weird earlier. I was just… nervous.” Stiles wasn’t sure that was the right word but it already came out.

“That’s so cute. I make you nervous?”

“Sort of.” Stiles looked around the room feeling anxious. He could do this. Stiles wiped his sweaty palms on his pant legs.

“Well you kind of make me nervous too. I like that.” She leaned in and began to kiss him again. This time Stiles didn’t hesitate as he kissed her back. He could do it, he wasn’t going to ruin it this time. They continued kissing and Stiles tried to block everything out but when he felt Lydia’s hands on his back exploring up his shirt he froze. Lydia pulled away, her lips glistening from the kiss. “You okay?” Stiles nodded and leaned back in. They kissed for a few moments more and Lydia began to kiss at his neck. Stiles looked off into the room at the objects he could make out in the moonlight and then he saw someone sitting across from them on the opposite wall, someone who shouldn’t be there.

“I miss you Stiles. We had fun together.”

“No!” Stiles jerked away and frightened Lydia a little.

“What’s going on?” She asked worry taking over her face.

“I’m sorry. I’m fine.” Lydia leaned back in still questioning but willing to move on. Stiles accepted the kiss but only for a moment.

“Stiles is that the way we behave? I taught you better than that. I guess I have to teach you again” The figure moved to them and Stiles jerked away almost throwing himself from the bed.

“Go away!” Lydia stood up shocked.

“Stiles?” She tried to move closer. She was afraid for Stiles.

“Leave me alone! I just want to be left alone!”

“I’m sorry.” Lydia turned and hurried to leave. Stiles looked up seeing her reaching the door.

“Lydia! Wait!” She stopped and turned back around.

“Don’t leave, please.”Stiles pulled his legs into his body and she could see the tears in his eyes from the moons light coming into the window. She turned back around and walked to him taking a seat next to him again. This time she didn’t touch him as they sat together in the loneliness of the room.

“When I was 13 my parents got divorced. I knew it wasn’t my fault but I don’t think they saw me. I hated seeing them fight and use me against each other. I didn’t have control over my life but I realized I had control over my body and what went in it and what didn’t.” Lydia twisted her fingers together and bit her lip before talking again. “I stopped eating and when I did eat I would feel guilty and make myself throw up. I hated that about myself but I couldn’t stop.” Stiles reached out an arm and rubbed a small circle in Lydia’s back trying his best to comfort her. “I collapsed at school one day and my dad finally realized something was wrong and sent me here.”

“I’m really sorry.” Stiles said from behind his knees.

“I didn’t tell you my story for you to feel sorry for me. I told you my story to let you know that you aren’t alone. You have people here who will listen and they can protect you.”

“I like you Lydia but I just can’t do this.” Lydia stood up again and stopped in front of him.

“I know. Just remember you can talk to people here. Whatever is haunting you can go away as soon as you face it and when you’re ready I’m here. Even if you don’t talk to me there are plenty of other people that will listen.” She watched him a moment longer and then turned leaving him alone. Stiles looked in the corner of the room watching the fragments of his imagination disappear in the dark.