Chapter 30: Meet Me...

• Dedicated to My awesome friends and fans

Kristle’s POV

I dashed to Geography class, feeling the force of air smack in my face. When I reached the class, the teacher was not there yet luckily. I clung onto the door frame to catch my breath, panting heavily as I felt the oxygen rush to my lungs. I realised that everyone in class was looking at me, eyebrows raised. Well, in my defence, I have a guitar practice to go to after this and it’s not my fault that the school’s lockers are too small to keep my guitar

I made a last ditch attempt to save the little dignity I had left and walk to my desk as if nothing ever happened which of course brought about snickers and muffled laughter. Five minutes before class I found a note scotch taped in my locker. It was written in an untidy scrawl but I can still make out the words.

It said:

Hey Kristle,

Meet me at the courtyard after your lesson.

Jaryl

I was shocked to find a note from Jaryl in the first place but why meet him? Curiosity got the better of me so I decided to risk it, knowing that I can use my pepper spray on him or whack him with my guitar.

So after class, I went to the courtyard. It had a tree smack in the middle with the autumn leaves dancing in the wind. The student are there doing homework or chatting like monkeys. I’m surprised this school can afford a courtyard, an indoor pool and confetti canons for the cheerleading squad. I sat on one of the benches and waited.

Jaryl was not there yet. So I decided to wait while trying to learn the new song I was supposed to learn before my lesson. After playing for a while, I heard a voice behind me, scaring the hell out of me by saying, “ Nice one Kris.”

If I hadn’t recognized that voice, I would have whacked that person with my guitar. That almost-unfortunate person was Tristan McCartney. I turned to face him and say a “hi.” He sat beside me and had this serious look in his eyes which I never saw before.

He then said, “What’cha doin’ here?”

“Oh, waiting for Jaryl. Apparently he wants me to meet him here.” I said rolling my eyes before continuing, “don’t worry, I have pepper spray with me and the guitar.” He laughed that same old laugh, just sounds a bit… sad… “So what are you doing here?” I asked.

He just shrugged and said, “I need the psychologist Kristle. Tell me, have you ever felt like the world make sense when that person is around, or when they’re with you or they talk to you they just… I don’t know brighten up your day?”

That question stung me hard. I felt like crying on the spot because that’s exactly what I feel right now. That girl meant a lot to Tristan. I have decided after prom that I would support him as a best friend even if it hurts because that’s how much I’m wiling to give up.

I took a deep breath and said, “So that girl got you bad huh? If you’re saying it that way that means you’re head over heels for her. So just I don’t know confess or something? I have absolutely no advice to give you because… love is a strange thing. It can bring men to their knees, it can save a life yet it can kill too. It really depends on how you react to it really. Whether it can be the best thing ever or the thing that kills you is up to you. My point is, love knows no boundaries. Tell her how you feel and don’t be afraid of rejection. If you love her, don’t fear it.”

He nodded and left for class while the person whom I was waiting for finally came. He leaned on the bench and said, “Well, had a nice chat with your boyfriend, eh?”

“Ha-ha,” I said monotonously. “So what do you want?”

“Walk with me.” He beckoned.

I cautiously walked with him and we walked there in silence until Jaryl asked a question that completely shocked me. He asked, “do you remember when we were about four to five?” I racked through my brain and found a little dim memory of me with Clarice, Ye Kai and him. “Yeah,” I replied, smiling at the memory.