Chapter 20: To Win Your Heart

"Do you mind telling me who was that bloody boy you brought home last night?" my fathers harsh words caught my attention as I was quietly savoring the thick pasty pancakes that was set on my plate. I shifted in my seat uncomfortably at his question. THAT bloody boy... I let his question hang in the air for a while as I stared deeply into my into the melting butter that slowly turned the sweet trickly syrup white. my head wondered off to the recounts of events last night.

"Clarice... Listen to me..." I sighed heavily as l reached for the first aid kit located on the top shelf of my mirror. That night had been frantic filled with confessions, embarresment and blood, lots of it. And I had secretly brought home a boy who was probably the last person I would have expected to bring. "Clarice I really do like you." he whispered silently to me, his breath sending million of bolts down the back of my spine. I felt my self go a little red as I snapped," Shut up, or I will really break your nose jerk face."  

A mischievous smirk broke out over his face as he replied, "Hpmh. I would have thought you would stop calling me Jerk face." I let his words process and before I could question him he replied, "after all now Ye Kai takes my position as a Jerk." the mention of his name caused a bolt of guilt to trigger within me. "It was an accident, don't jump to conclusions. He's still my best friend." This seemed to silent him as I dabbed a trickle of blood that had reached his lips. Instead I found myself staring at his lips, so small and pink. I pulled my stare away as I threw away a bloody cotton ball and took hold of another one. But as each passing minute ticked by the atmosphere in my tiny bathroom grew heavier until it was broken by a loud snore. I stifled a laugh that had almost escaped from my lips as I watched Jaryl sleep peacefully on the toilet seat his head cocked against the cupboard filled with essential needs. I approached him silently and stuffed two cotton balls up his nostrils, it took immediate effect and he snorted loudly before he sat up, I went close to his face as I shouted,"I'm done, now get hell out of my house." his eyes were still droopy as he left my bathroom. But to ensure he was going the right way I followed him to the front door. He stopped to turn around and looked deep into my eyes before he leaned over to my face and kissed me on my cheek. "I will win your heart." was his last words before he disappeared into the cool night.

"What bloody boy?" I questioned, as I stuffed another a piece of syrup coated pancake into my mouth. "That bloody boy with chestnut brown hair and emerald green eyes whose nose looked broken and can't seem to stop bleeding?" dad answered accusingly from across the newspaper he was reading, beady eyes scanning me for answers. I looked across to see Andre snickering at me through a mouth full of pancakes, I lifted my leg attempting to kick him in the sheen to only be blocked by dad's foot. "I have no idea what you are talking about." I answered softly feeling uneasy under Dad's increasing accusing stare. "Clarice Andrea Hathaway, that boy-" but before he could continue, I was already at the doorway a stack of books in hand with my book bag slung over my shoulder,"Bye mom, bye dad. Got to go for early lessons or something..." I called out as I slammed the door shut narrowly escaping my dad's one hour lecture.  

During Lunch... 

~Ye Kai~ 

"Follow your heart." Kristle's words echoed through my head as I watched the teacher scribbled down long phrases on the board. I placed my head heavily on my upturned palm as I took a quick glance at Clarice. She looked beautiful even across the background in the glaring light, her facial features that shaped her face nicely. Suddenly she did the most unusual thing, she stared to twirl her pony tail. Her gesture caused a memory to pop up into my head bringing forth an image of a toothless young girl grinning at me.

"Why can't you get down?" She shouted at me from ontop of the cherry tree. I stared at her small frame from ontop tears still flowing down my cheek. She stood out from the rest of the crowd dressed in dirty overalls overalls stained with paint, her tied into two messy pigtails. "Grandma is up there and I'm going to see grandma and no one is going to stop me!" upon my words my mother burst into hysterical sobs and she clutched onto my fathers shoulder for comfort. She stood there a little silent, icy blue eyes staring deep into mine. The she did the weirdest thing ever she started to climb up the cherry tree. When she finally reached the top she sat beside me and gave me a toothless grin. "if you're going, then I'm going! I'm going to see Kristle's parents and tell them how much Jessica misses them!"I felt tears sting my eyes and burst into tears before she embraced me into a hug. "It's ok... Urm... What's your name?" "Ye Kai..." I said through sobs. "Ye Kai, we all have to go through life and death just remember, your grandma will always be in your heart..."

"Hi Clare!" a loud shrill forced me back to reality. Tiffany had her face close up to Clarice a grin spread across her face. Clarice returned it with an eye roll. She she leaned back into her chair to distance herself from the loud mouth Tiffany. "You know there's a prom night next week and I was just wondering if your going since after Jaryl's confession and all I thought you would be too-" "Im going." Clarice snapped angrily at Tiffany. Tiffany looked slightly shocked before she remained her composure and pulled off another million dollar smile. "Who are you bringing?" I couldn't help but turn my head slightly to look at Clarice. Her eye widen before she looked down again and answered," it's a surprise date. You wouldn't know him anyway." Before Tiffany could further question the sharp call of her name from the teacher caused her to shut her mouth. "Tiffany Peril! Get back to your seat!"

I twirled my pen between my fingers observing Clarice as she continued to stare out of the window. I desperately wanted to talk to her, but just looking at her hands brought back the way she was tenderly holding onto Jaryl's and how she had officially named me a jerk. "Ye Kai, could you please answer question number 4 of passage B."I directed my stare to my paper but as i silently read read the answer in my head my eyes widen bigger abd bigger,"Follow your heart and you will find your answer..."

~

A/N hi J here! Sorry it's super super short... I have a test next week and I need to study... :P so I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter don't forget to fan and cote! :D