Chapter 10: I Looked Back

~Andre's POV~

Grace was fast asleep in my old room and in my old house – the house that I used to share with her. The house that was supposed to be filled with cries and laughter of children running about...but instead, it was filled with the silence of a grave.

Easing over to the bed where she slept, I sat bedside her and studied her face, taking in every single detail of every tiny spot and etching them into my memory, storing them permanently. Her heart-shaped face was perfect. Her black brows were thin above her closed eyes, her cheeks were still slightly flushed with the lightest of pink – a colour that she always loved since she was young – and ...and her lips, thin and pink were totally kissable.

I touched a finger on my lips and remembered my first and last kiss I ever had with her. The first was a gentle brush of lips, satisfied with just a touch of each others lips. But our last kiss...our last kiss was the exact opposite.

Even up till now, I still remembered it...

*Flashback*

It was early in the morning. Around 6 to 7 a.m. I was getting ready to leave the house without waking Grace up because I knew if we had a good bye, it would just be unbearable and hard to let go.

But before I could open the door, arms were wrapped our my waist as a tiny head was leaned against my back. Sighing, I turned around.

Grace had gotten out of bed and was standing in front of me with eyes that reflected pain and hurt. Just the sight of it made my heart break into millions of tiny piece that were unable to be put back again.

“Kiss me,” she whispered, her eyes getting teary and I arc my brows in surprised. “Just once more,” she pleaded, “and I promise it will be a last time. I'll be able to forget you after that.” A bald-faced lie.

I hesitated, unsure and she made her tone light. “Last time, I swear.” After those words let her mouth, she immediately dropped her gaze to the ground and tears started dropping.

I was torn. My eyes flickered to the door and back to Grace. Finally, I decided to give Grace one last kiss. After all, it was the only thing I could give her as my parting gift. I let out a quiet sigh and slumped my shoulders in resignation.

Our last kiss was meant to be quick and chaste, but after the first touch of her lips leaped up and roared through my belly. Her fingers yanked me close, her fingernails digging into my back and I crushed my arms around her to meld us together. She knotted her fingers in my and bit down on my bottom lip, making me groan. My lips parted for her entry and her tongue swept in to dance with mine.

There was nothing sweet and gentle in our last kiss; it was filled with sorrow and desperation, of the bitter knowledge that we could've had something perfect, but it just wasn't meant to be.

If we weren't in this divorce situation, I would've allowed the kiss to be longer. But I can't...as it will just be harder to let go of her. I pulled away, my eyes bright, shaking with desire and passion and my heart thudding loudly against my chest as I dug my fingers into Grace's shoulders.

“Don't ask me of this again,” I rasped and released Grace and stalked out of the door without looking back. I drove to my parents' house and let out the breath I never knew I was holding as tears streamed down my cheeks.

*End of Flashback*

Grace's breathing was slow and deep, her chest rising and falling with each breath – evidence that she was breathing and well alive. I reached down and gently place a hand over her heart, wanting to touch her, to feel her heart-beat under my fingers.