(41) Caught

w/c: wow okay so this took forever I'm so sorry. once again I was trying to figure out how I wanted this chap to go and how to address everything that has happened and still go with my planned ending for the book.

thank you so so much for all your sweet comments ily guys so much I can't even express it. you've been with me for 41 chapters & that's just crazy to me that anyone would want to read anything I write. tysm ily all so much, here it is ❤ song for this chap is: Come Home by OneRepublic

comment again please I love reading them ❤❤

When My Heart Stops, I'll Give It To You

Chapter 41: Caught

Nessa's P.O.V.

I quickly put back on my shirt, tears threatening to spill out of my eyes. What the hell was I doing? Sure, Christopher had been an asshole to not tell me about him leaving, but he didn't deserve this. Liam was basically his best friend and he just caught us almost- Oh, God, what had we been about to do? I felt like I was just a person in the background watching the situation unfold, my decisions not feeling at all like my own. I'm an idiot.

I didn't dare glance at Liam as I opened my car door and got out. I felt like if I did meet his gaze, all those feelings I had for him would hit me as hard as they had when we kissed.

I stood before Christopher, my chin beginning to wobble. I shouldn't be crying; why am I crying?

He stared at me, fuming. "What the hell, Nessa? What is wrong with you? How could you possibly even do this to me?" When his voice cracked, I couldn't hold in my own tears any longer. He just stared at me, looking even angrier now. "Stop." Chris demanded, grabbing my arms and shaking me a little. "Stop crying."

I shook my head and concentrated on the ground below me, feeling so incredibly awful I wanted to die.

"Vanessa, if you make me feel bad for you-" He stopped, letting go of me and I watched as his eyes focused hard on Liam behind me. "You-"

"Chris, I swear-"

"You swear what, Liam? You swear that you weren't about to screw the love my life? You swear you didn't run away with my girlfriend? You just couldn't help yourself, could you? Couldn't stand that I had something you didn't? She doesn't love you, dick. She just thinks she does, but she doesn't." And then after all those angry, spit out words that made me flinch, he punched Liam so hard in the jaw that I heard a definite crack.

"Christopher!" I yelled out, grabbing his arm, tears still streaking down my cheeks.

He whipped around, face red and looking so angry that I cowered away from him. "What, Nessa? You know, when I got back to the safe house and saw that you were gone, I thought to myself, 'She couldn't take this life anymore. She went back home' and all I could think was that was the worst thing that could ever happen. But damn, was I wrong."

I flinched at his words and looked down to see Liam was on the ground, his hand pressed against his now blue and brown jaw. I wanted to make sure he was okay, but I didn't want to provoke Chris in any way more.

"I'm so sorry, Christopher. I can't-I'm so incredibly sorry." I tried to hold in my tears so I didn't look pathetic anymore.

He tugged at his hair, leaning against the car. His body slumped completely and my heart ached a bit at how broken he looked. "I know," Chris rasped out. "I know you are. You have to be. "

I nodded eagerly and was surprised when he walked right up to me, pressing his lips hard against mine. I didn't kiss back, too shocked by everything to.

Chris pulled away, his eyes watery and wide. "Do you feel anything at all still? I just need to know that."

My eyes flickered to Liam still kneeling by the car, grasping his jaw with a defeated look on his face. He had stayed quiet this whole time, I guess because we had no excuses.

"Of course I do," I answered finally, quietly. And I did. It confused me more than anything, but I still felt that spark when we kissed. "I never stopped loving you, Christopher. I was just hurt. I found out that you're just going back after all of this is over-and I was pissed that you had made me fall in love with you when you knew you would just leave me later."

He shut his eyes tightly. He looked nice, his white shirt a little tight against his stomach. "And I understand why you would be upset about that. That still doesn't mean you go and screw this piece of shit."

I immediately felt the need to defend Liam, but I didn't, knowing it'd just make Chris angrier. "For the record, this hasn't being something going on. That right then was our first, real kiss and you saw us before we uhm, made it far."

"Maybe it was something just starting for you, but for him it's been there since you met him. I could tell from how he looked when you talked to him. I figured it was just a stupid crush. Obviously not." He spoke quietly now, and I felt a little comforted now that he had calmed down.

"This is sweet and all," Liam spoke up, causing me to turn and look at him while Chris acted like he hadn't of spoken. "But I really must be getting back to the safe house."

I looked down at the ground, trying to ignore the fact that his whole voice had changed back to how it had sounded when Liam hadn't of given a shit about anything.

"We have more to talk about, but for now, we need to get back." Chris instructed me.

"Okay." I said, giving him a tiny smile.

I looked over to see Chris had gotten here by his motorcycle. How he had found us, I had no idea. I didn't ask either, thinking he'd snap.

I watched while Liam pulled messily back into the road, then speeding off way over the speed limit. My heart felt as if it had dropped down to my stomach and I automatically felt like crying over everything that had happened again.

Shaking my head, not even able to believe anything that had just occurred, I climbed on the back of Chris's bike and wrapped my arms around his waist.

He cleared his throat, sounding hoarse. "Just for the record, this doesn't make anything okay. At all."

w/c: sorry if this is short, I hope you enjoyed this chap ❤