(9) The Truth

Everything sped past me.

Sparks were light on fire and spread through me as his lips met mine. And my heart was going too fast, an unusual speed.

"Your story?" I breathed. Trying to calm the sparks, I leaned away from him.

"I told you. I've spent my whole life waiting for you."

"Waiting for me?" I asked.

"You," He said kissing my forehead. "Only you. He said you aren't the one, but I know you are. You have to be." He's murmuring nonsense now. And the whole time he's staring at me, but he's eyes are faraway.

"I'm still confused, Christopher. What do you mean "the one"?"

"I'm the one for you, your the one for me. He says your not. But, he would do anything to protect you." He said, still muttering.

"Who? Christopher your speaking nonsense."

"Nessa," He says his eyes returning to mine. "I know you saw us yelling." He said it like he was angry. Just the thought of that man, made him mad.

I don't deny it. "I...didn't mean to. And no, I don't know that man."

"He's...your dad, Ness. He left because of my father. They hated each other. My dad tried to steal your mom from your dad. I know it's confusing, but you have to understand. Your parents hate me because of my family. My dad should be with your mom right now, she was his. But she rejected him when she learned what we are."

"And what are you?" I demand. I was mad. I knew my dad lied to us.

He took a deep breath. "You don't need to know right now. Your dad left because he was afraid of you being the One for me. He thought that my dad made me show interest in you, for revenge, but really, it was my decision. So by running away, your dad thought I'd leave you alone."

I start to back up. Away from him. Away from all this.

"Nessa..." I don't know why, but I'm alarmed now. "Nessa, you have to understand..." his voice is so pleading, but I'm not falling for it.

"You are dangerous." I whisper. I know once I say it, it's true. Because he doesn't deny it. He cringes but just repeats himself, "You have to understand."

"I understand," I say. "That if my mom doesn't trust I don't trust you. I hate my dad, but for some reason, I feel like they are both right. You're dangerous."

The hand he reached out for me to take fell to his side. "I didn't think it would come to this." he says quietly, his voice full of venom.

"To what?" I snap.

"To me having to force you."

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. You're scaring me... I wanted to say, but instead I say, "Go."

When I opened my eyes, he was gone.

I looked out my balcony to see a outline of a person's shadow on the hill. Still watching. Never looking away.

As realization hit me, I felt so stupid.

It was Christopher who watched me at night.