(28) Tonight

When My Heart Stops, I'll Give It To You

Chapter 28: Tonight

Nessa's P.O.V.

I wake up surrounded in familiarly soft, cotton sheets and the distinct smell of Christopher is all around. My eyes flutter open and it takes them awhile to adjust, but I'm back at the safe house in Chris's room. I think I'm alone until I see him sitting in a chair beside the bed.

He grinned once he saw I was awake, though he grimaced after he did. I tried to move my body to get up but I just couldn't.

"Don't try, Nessa. Phillip injected a lot of that drug into your veins. I'm not sure what it is, but it seems to have slowed your senses by a lot. Your body's going to feel really heavy. You probably won't be able to move it." Christopher explains to me slowly, so that I'll comprehend it.

My head feels as fuzzy as it did when I first woke up here. "Are you okay? H-he took over your bo-"

"I know," He interrupted quickly. "It...it was like I was still in my body, just not in control of it. It was terrifying. I rather not talk about it."

I frowned and closed my eyes, feeling like it took too much energy to even keep them open. "Where are we going to go?" I manage out coherently.

"We're staying here. Philip's no threat to us at the moment, like he said. He wants it to go down interestingly." Christopher interjected.

"What about the others?" I ask, my mind suddenly wondering what happened there.

"They're okay too," Christopher got off from his chair and carefully laid down next to me so that we were staring into each other's eyes. His hand goes to my cheek, a little smile on his lips. "You're so drugged." He laughed.

"Thanks," I rolled my eyes, pulling the blankets over my body more.

Christopher's hand finds mine and the mood has quickly switched to serious. "I have bad news."

I hummed in response.

"This whole Philip thing was a huge set back. We're going to have to leave to see The Fates earlier than I thought."

My eyebrows furrow, slowly taking in his words. "How much earlier?"

Chris frowned and stared down at our hands together. "Tonight."

~~~~

"This is stupid."

I'm not sure how many times Liam and I have both said that since Chris started a meeting in his bedroom (because I couldn't get up). So everyone was just surrounded around the bed with me in the middle. Just like they had all agreed, Liam was going to be staying here with me and Amber so that I wouldn't try and meet up with the mystery guy Friday night. I had learned it wasn't Aiden, and I knew it wasn't Phillip, so I was undeniably curious.

"We need a man to watch over both of you while we're gone." Chase repeated also.

"That's incredibly sexist." I remarked, my annoyance clear. Liam wasn't any better, with his whole body slumped and that pout still there. I found out today that Liam smokes, and he was right now which wasn't pleasant in the tiny room. "You're putting me and Amber at risk of lung cancer by leaving us with him." I snapped, while Liam didn't even look up, keeping the cigar in between his pout.

"You're being dramatic. The most we'll be gone will be a week." Christopher sighed, rolling his eyes.

"It'll take longer since we have to get more recruits." Chase pointed out.

Amber suddenly burst into the room, obviously late. Despite her bubbly personality, I noticed she liked to keep to herself most of the time.

Chris ignored her entrance and turned to Chase. "You ready?"

"I guess," He shrugged and then walked up to me and gave me a small huge, which is awkward because I can't even raise my arms up to hug him back. "Good luck."

"oh" is all I say because I realize he's talking about Liam and how difficult he was. Then Christopher jumps on the bed next to me and gently helps me up, using his shoulder to keep me propped so he can hug me properly. His lips crash down on mine and it's like just that slowly presses my on button. I ran my hand through his hair as we kissed, my heart racing. Chris pulled away, resting his forehead on mine. "I'll miss you. I love you."

"I love you too." I gave him a tiny smile and in the back I heard Liam mumble something about how he could "smell the teenage hormones". I decided to ignore it.

"Bye. Good luck. Be smart." I advice stupidly, still feeling slow.

"We will. Get better, Nessa. Treat them good, Liam." Chris smiled while Liam didn't even look up, just waving him off.

And then they were gone.

~~~~~

It's been only one day and I hate it. I'm finally out of bed and able to move, so I've been attacked all day. I like Amber, I do. She's just so-

"VANESSAAAAA."

Annoying. And high maintenance. "What?" I snapped from my comfortable lying position on the couch.

"Can I do your hair and makeup? Please? I never have anyone to practice on." She begs, red hair falling over her face.

"Please. Nessa needs makeup desperately." Liam smirks, trying purposely to annoy me. I just threw the decorative pillow beside me at him, hitting him right in the face. Ha.

Now I had a pissed off Liam and impatient Amber both just staring at me.

"Amber, I-"

"It'll be fun, I promise." Amber grins, grabbing my hand. I glance back helplessly at Liam, but of course he wasn't going to help me out of it.

"You're going to look so pretty." She cooed.

Yay.

Writers comment: hahaha so hi everyone how ya doing. I'm probably going to update early bc the break. whatcha guys doing for spring break? I'm doing nothing bc I'm a loser ha ha yeah bye